Thread: 408 RCAF 2 June 1942 - Essen

Thanks

Default 408 RCAF 2 June 1942 - Essen

Is there anyone out there that would have a copy of the relevant page of the ORB of 408 Sq. RCAF, Balderton, for 2 June, 1942, thousand bomber raid on Essen, that would record the entry of Hampden I, AT191, EQ-A (the only Hampden lost), and the crew of P/O Charlton, P/O Sandland, F/S Womar DFM, and Sgt Marland who I am particularly researching as he is a casualty on our village war memorial. Have visited grave in Netherlands and acquired other information, but have yet to trace ORB. Anyone oblige?
    Many thanks.
    Stewart

Thanks

Hi Stewart;

I don't have the ORB, but here are my notes on AT191, mostly from earlier posts on this Forum:

Served with No. 408 Squadron, RCAF, coded "EQ*A". Lost during 1000 bomber raid on Essen on 1/2 June 1942, only Hampden lost on this raid. Shot down by night fighter from II./NJG2, crashed into Ijsselmeer, All 4 crew killed, including F/S F.J.E. Womar, DFM, who was on his 56th mission. All now buried in Holland. Based from RAF Balderton for this mission. Wreckage located in Holland, June 1961, and recovered by R. Netherlands AF.

Thanks

Many thanks for your prompt reply and with that extra information that I wasn't aware of.
    Do you, or anyone else, have any write-up of that recovery by RNAF.
    Stewart

Thanks

Hello Stewart,

On behalf the Brother of P/O Charlton I have done much research to the loss of Hampden AT191, although I haven't the ORB's for the 2nd June 1942 and also I have no recovery reports done by the RNAF in 1961. I have asked for it but it is not longer in their archives I am afraid!! Have also contact with the family of Marland. If you would like exchange info please send me a PM.

Cheers,
    Adrian