Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 411010 - Unaccounted airmen - 10-10-1941

Thanks

Default Whitley Crash at 10/10/41, Llandwrog.

Hello all,

Edwin Marcus Harding was my grandfather , he was killed in this crash. From the forum, it appears he was on K7252. Does anyone know the exact crash site ? My mum recently showed me a copy of a letter he had written to his sister while based in North Wales, describing some of the scenary, she'd like to visit the area where he was last stationed. From what she's told me (and she was only a small child when he died, so all the tales may not be quite accurate), he had been accepted for a Commision when he died, but as his death certificate states Corporal, I assume he hadn't been Gazetted.

Thanks

All I know is that the aircraft collided with Whitley K9041 near Llandwrog, N.Wales. On both aircraft were a total of 17 casualties, their deaths registered at Caernarvon.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

I was concerned that posting this next batch of answers from the F1180s would have put Henk under too much pressure to update after his request to remove his user name.

I now post them to contine his legacy on RAF Commands.

Christopher confirmed by F1180 as sole fatality on Oxford W6623

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Beaufort L9808 10.10.41 Herbert Nettleton.
    RAF Davidstow Moor and Chivenor book both list this crash South of Chivenor and SW of Barnstaple, not Exford, can anyone supply any further details?

Thanks

My research shows - hit high ground approx 4 miles south west of Barnstable.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks Ross, about where I used to live, but no one knows anything about it, and requesting accident record card

Thanks

Hello

Cpl Robert F. WATSON - 521300 - the Nottingham Journal of October 14th 1941 reported the following:

Two Airmen Killed In Bingham Crash
    A verdict of "Accidental Death" was recorded yesterday by the Newark District Coroner (Mr. J. B Norman) on Corporal Ernest Cecil Barley, 191, of Grindleford, near Sheffield, and Corporal Robert Fryer Watson, 29, of Belfast, both of the R.A.F., who died when the motor-cycle they were riding left the road and struck an air raid shelter at Bingham last Friday evening.
    Dr. W. Robinson, of Bingham, said that summoned to the scene of the accident he found Corporal Watson to be dead; death had been instantaneous. Corporal Barley wa unconscious, and died soon after admission to the Nottingham City Hospital.
    Mr. H. Cameron, of Bingham. described how the machine came from the direction of Nottingham, travelling very much on the offside of the raod, at an estimated speed of 40 to 45 m.p.h. It failed to take the left-hand bend, left the road, crashed through a substantial wooden fence, and struck an air raid shelter.

See also Cpl Ernest C. BARLEY - 572556:

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...1-and-12-10-41

LAC (Pilot u/t) Walter H. RICHARDS - 1313284 - the Graves Registration Report Form lists his unit as 9 F.T.S., linking him to Master I N7544

Regards

Simon