Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Diary of S/Ldr.L.V.James

Thanks

Default The Diary of S/Ldr.L.V.James

Hi There
    I am new to this website. i am very proud to say that my grandfather served in the Royal Air Force during World War 2 He started in Squadron No 63 & moved on to the 149 squadron I have been reading his very detailed diary that starts with a summary from Sept to January 1940 then has regular entries & photo's. It even has an invitation to the palace! Unfortunately his last entry was on 23rd May 1942. How sad my mother was only 2 years old.
    Deborah

Thanks

Hi,

The Palace invitation would be to receive his DFC earned when with No.149 Sqn, gazetted on 23rd Dec 1941.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thank you
    The letter is dated 28th March 1942
    Would that still fit in?
    Deborah

Thanks

Yes, after the Gazette notification of award it took a few months to organise attendance at a palace ceremony.

I do not have a record of where he was taught to fly but his first posting in the Air Force List is to No.63 Bomber Squadron at Upwood on 22 March 1937.

His rank on loss is shown as Wing Commander.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.

Thanks

Yes that is right.
    He was only a young man but like so many remarkably brave. The diary shows photos of the planes that were flown back its amazing to me that they had the courage to go out again.
    I think I will try & write his diary up as a Blog , do you think this is a good idea?
    Deborah

Thanks

Great idea,

Not only does it bring the news and feelings of the day to a wider audience but it also helps researchers tie together threads of things that they have been stumped on for ages.

Regards
    Ross

Thanks

Ok Thank you
    I will try to give it a go. I already have the first few pages printed out & the photo's scanned.
    Deborah

Thanks

Hi Deborah
    Your Grandfather, according to Bomber Command Losses Vol 3 by W R Chorley, was shot down by a nightfighter at Leenstertillen-Leens 20 Kms NW of Groningen at about 0145 on the night of 20/21-Jun 1942. He was flying a Wellington III ,X3713, WS-J, of 9 Sqn, with whom it was his 1st operation following his recent appointment as Commanding Officer. The target was Emden. You might find his promotion to Wing Commander in the London Gazette. He had previously flown 27 other operations on previous Sqns which he might have recorded in his diary. The 5-man crew all lost their lives and are buried in Leens General Cemetery.. I would agree with Ross that you should make his exploits available to a wider audience.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

OH I feel very pleased with myself
    I have just about managed to do this
    Please look at my blog http://wingcommanderww2.blogspot.com/
    hat do you think so far?
    Deborah

Thanks

Hi Deborah;

As one amateur webmaster to another, congratulations on your web site. Very nice. Thanks for sharing this info with us. From my experience, you will make many new friends, and learn constantly, through an undertaking like this.