Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F/Lt Tadeusz Ciastula PAF P0378

Thanks

Default F/Lt Tadeusz Ciastula PAF P0378

Hello everyone,
    I have a query for our Polish experts.
    F/Lt Tadeusz Ciastula (not to be confused with his brother F/O Ludwik Ciastula, P0504)
    Was with 58 OTU from 26-3-42 to 30-10-42 as F/O.
    302 sqn from 26-5-42 to 30-10-42.
    65 sqn from 30-10-42 to late Jan, 1943.
    302 sqn from 30-1-43 to late june, 1943.
    RAE, Farnborough 28-6-43 to possibly end of war as F/Lt.
    Could anyone please fill in his postings on joining the RAF/PAF, where he came from in Poland and when he left the service.
    Wishing you all a 'Happy New Year'
    With thanks,
    Roy

Thanks

Roy,
    Not trying to hijack yr thread Roy, but while we've got The Polish Experts on the go can I ask if they know whether Flt Sgt Ozaist (202 Sqn) was a Meteorologist by trade, or did he join the RAF after leaving Poland, and then became a Meteorological Air Observer (MAO) at some later stage?
    Some of the Polish escapees who ended up in the Met Office were not, exactly, weather scientists. One, Antoni Stepien, had a degree in forestry - but (presumably) because he knew what weather was good for trees he would also know what weather was good for aviators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I am NOT taking the Michael!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Roy
    I do not have too many details, but Ciastuła was an engineer, graduate of Warsaw University of Technology, he worked in Instytut Techniczny Lotnictwa (Polish Boscombe Down) as a test pilot and likely was evacuated with the institute. His s/n indicates he likely reached England in mid 1940 and was not in RAF. According to bio note I have, he was at RAE since mid 1941, and it seems his operational flying was to gain experience, at least officially. In 1946 he was an instructor at Polish Resettlement Corps, so likely he was demobbed at the beginning of 1947. He worked for Westland. I believe PAF Assn Trust may provide you with more accurate details.
    His brother was Ludomir not Ludwik, and I would be very interested to find his family.
    Peter
    No idea, but you may try PAF Assn Trust as well.

Thanks

Franek,
    Many thanks for the info. Most grateful.
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Tadeusz Ciastula

Hello Franek
    I am so pleased to read your answers on this Polish pilot and leads. Thank you.
    I could not understand why a F/O was training (not instructing) on 58 OTU, now you have solved the puzzle. He was another of the unsung Polish fliers we have to thank.
    Regards and a 'Happy New Year'
    Roy

Thanks

The old phone books list a T L Ciastula living in East Coker in the Taunton area as late as 1978 publication. There is no returns on the current BT phone book however online.

His name does not seem to be listed as died since 1984-2005.

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/
    His name appears a number of times in the Flight archives above, search for the surname only, with small biographies and new appointments post war. etc.

regards

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Tadeusz Ciastula

Hello Dennis
    Thanks for the BT information and the Flightglobal guidance. I will put myself to the test and see what comes up.
    I have been trying to find this information for years.
    Regards and a 'Happy New Year'
    Roy

Thanks

He and his brother passed away some 20/30 years ago. I have an exact date if needed.

Thanks

Default T L Ciastula

Thanks for that Franek, I would appreciated the dates of both brothers deaths.
    At Dennis's suggestion I have looked in Flight Global and found that TL Ciastula worked for Saunders Roe, which was part of Westland Aircraft Ltd, as their chief designer of light helicopters, In 1965 he was awarded the Richard Fairey/Louis Breguet Trophy for his work in VTO aircraft. He was still with Saunders Roe in 1966.
    This ties in with the TL Ciastula who lived at East Coker, near Taunton which is in the same county, Somerset as Westland's at Yeovil.
    Could you verify what the TL initials stood for please, Tadeusz L____ Ciastula.
    Regards and thanks,
    Roy

Thanks

Roy
    Based on Tadeusz Krzystek's PAF personnel index, please find following details:
    P-0504 Ciastuła Ludomir Feliks 06.08.1908 +19.06.1986 kpt. / F/Lt Pilot died London, buried North Sheen cemet.;
    P-0378 Ciastuła Tadeusz Leopold 27.10.1909 +07.10.1979 kpt. / F/Lt Pilot died Birchington-on-Sea, Kent and cremated at Margate Crematorium.
    I have seen online some patents credited to Ciastuła, search google for Tadeusz Leopold Ciastula.