Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hudson V9199 Crash Far East April 1943

Thanks

Default Re: Hudson Crash? Far East April 1943

I have been corresponding with Irene Mulley directly and between us we have arrived at the following

The above letter was written by Mrs. Whetstone, mother of Flt Sgt Timothy Whetstone 931710 (AIR78)

Greendown, Yawl, Uplyme, Lyme Regis, Dorset. 8/10/43

Dear Mrs Howarth,

Your letter was given to us by the Lyme Regis T C and may I say, to start with, how sorry we were to hear that your boy was among those killed in the A/c crash. Tim himself only heard of his death last month and from ? ? ? to do so as he is partially? housebound? due to the terrible head injuries that he received, he was on the "danger list" for 3 months and has only just come off the "serious" list - he says he will be sent home a cripple - we really know nothing of the crash - how or where. Tim thinks there were three people killed but is not even sure of that. Tim thought so much of your boy. Did you know that the crew applied for him after the first crash near Gloucester - I believe that he was in hospital at the time - that their wish was granted I believe is quite exceptional - I think you would be more satisfied if you wrote to Tim, should he be sent home soon I will get you his letters. (Tim) was very upset as the people at the BGH had told him that the rest of the crew were safe. I suppose Tim himself was in too dangerous a condition to be told the truth. Now Tim can remember nothing of the crash at all and is himself coming? round ? to find out what happened, I should know at once. We tried to get in contact with our elder boy also RAF India, But neither me nor The Air Ministry have been able to locate him so had to conclude that he had been moved secretly and no cables-signals or letters are reaching him. Very ? ? ? ? as we hoped to get a full account from him. Please forgive this very ? a letter and if you have any information we should very much like to have it - ? ? With all sympathy from one mother to another.
    Yours sincerely,
    Mrs? Whetstone

F/Sgt Whetstone 931710 14th BGH. Bareilly India

Thanks

Default Re: Hudson Crash? Far East April 1943

Apologies for this rather late update to the thread. Irene had sent me several photos related to this incident a few months ago. I am updating this thread with them.

First up - the wreckage of Hudson V9199 after its crash on the range. The gunner Sgt Eric Clarke, Irene's father was found seriously injured in the turret that can be seen in the bottom photo.

This is Eric George Clarke 952163 - before his accident.

Top photo below shows him after recovery from the injuries sustained in the crash.