Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCAF Operational Wings

Thanks

Default RCAF Operational Wings

Hi all,

as I found: The Operational wings was a Canadian award for 30 missions.

This is clear but:

1) this award was for Bomber Command airmen only or also for Coastal and Fighter Command?
    2) was there any particular criteria? mission over enemy territory etc.?
    3) into the count were counted missions flown with RCAF unit only or also with RAF units or for example other units like PAF, etc?

TIA for any additional info.

Pavel

P.S. Also a picture of such an award without the bar for next 30 would be appreciated.
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel.

This was awarded to all who flew the required number of operations. I have a certificate as issued with the wing to a fighter pilot serving in the 2nd TAF. It is the certificates that tend to get lost, frequently the ops wing is seen on the medal group.

I am sure a Canadian expert will provide much more detail than I can. Indeed I myself wonder if when the bar gets awarded did another certificate follow? I have never seen one.

Thanks

Default Copy RCAF Operational Wings

Along with other pictures and documents I have posted a copy of the RCAF Operational Wings awarded to my brother, F/O Roy Carter, (Nav) 431, RCAF ( awarded posthumously in 1947).

PICTURES ARE POSTED IN MY `RAF PUBLIC PROFILE`. Click my name and then click`View public Profile`. Click `Album`

The pictures tell the story. I hope this is what you are looking for. Please contact me if you need more information.

Fred Carter mrfjcarter@yahoo.ca
    Last edited by Fred Carter; 30th December 2008 at 22:51. Reason: spelling, confusion

Thanks

Thanks chaps, Fred please check your mailbox.

Pavel

Thanks

This was awarded for completing a tour of operations and not tied to a specific number of operations. I know of a few cases of Canadians serving on RAF Squadrons in Bomber Command who flew less than 20 operations but were awarded the operational wings. I think the acid test here was having their logbook signed off as "tour expired" and then the award was automatic. My father only received one certificate after his first tour ended in July 1943 and it was issued in July 1944.
    The wording on the award sets out the criteria: "This is to certify that_____ ______ has been awarded the Operational Wings of the Royal Canadian Air Force in recognition of gallant service in that he has completed a tour of operational duty in action against the enemy."
    Regards
    Dave Wallace

Thanks

Dave many thanks for additional info + wording.
    I agree that it was awarded rather for operational tour than for some particular count of sorties.

Pavel
    Last edited by CZ_RAF; 30th December 2008 at 14:40.

Thanks

Default Post copy of Operational Wings Award

Please advise as to how I can post a copy of the `Award` in this message box.

Fred Carter

Thanks

Default Non-Aircrew Ops Wing

At least two members of the RCAF who were not officially "aircrew" were awarded the Ops Wing. Both flew in the capacity of Flight Engineer but neither had attended a formal course or promoted beyond LAC, both being released in that rank.

Jack Harvey of Washago, Ontario 710 operational hours as a FE with a transport squadron in Burma and Joseph Hnatejko of Galt, Ontario 800 operational hours with a coastal squadron.

Story and photos of the two men in the 18 February 1946 edition of the Toronto "Globe & Mail" newspaper.

Thanks

Thanks for interesting info Ken, the second chap looks like he had Czech or Slovak ancestors..

Pavel

Thanks

Default Posting Images To This Forum

Fred,

The posting of images or direct HTML links to images has been disabled on this forum for some time due to spamming and other malicious attacks.

To direct forum members to an image, upload your image to the web on one of the many free file-hosting sites such as "Photobucket" or "Flickr".

Once you have uploaded your image, cut and paste it's URL into the body of your message in this forum. Forum members wishing to view the image will cut and paste the URL into their browser's address bar.

Example: Major Heinz Bar and his wing-man viewing one of his recent trophies; hope this helps!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f133/beaverpass/Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-666-6875-052.jpg
    Last edited by Ken MacLean; 1st January 2009 at 20:03.