Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 615 Sqn at RAF Valley 1941

Thanks

Default 615 Sqn at RAF Valley 1941

I am looking into the loss of a Hurricane from 615 Sqn flown by P/O Andrew Arthur Stephen on 11 Jul 1941. Can anyone tell me why the squadron moved there from April to September?

Stephen was lost in a flying accident, so were they there for retraining after fighting in the BoB or were they still flying ops during this period?

thanks
    David

Thanks

Default Hurricane candidate

Hurricane V6626: "Engine cut. Crash-landed, Nevis Bay beach, Caemarvon."

Happy New Year
    John

Thanks

Thanks John that's great. And Happy New Year to you (and all the RAFC gang).

Should that read Caernarvon? (Or, as I have now learned, the preferred Caernarfon - but probably not in 1941).

Stephen is the earliest casualty in my list of Malvern boys. He was RCAF from Toronto.
    David

Thanks

Hi David,

I suppose it can be Caernarvon instead of Caemarvon - "m" is quite often misreading for "rn" and there is nothing like Caemarvon in Wales as far as I know.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Would have been Caernarvon in 1941. No Nevis Beach near the town or anywhere else in the area as far as I know, so maybe it means the county Caernarvonshire. Probably Nevin beach in that case. Now spelled the Welsh way as Nefyn!

Thanks

You are right Dave, the dot at the end "Caemarvon." probably means the county.
    Anyway I am always shocked how some place can has several different names just in short time period:-)

In my case it tooks several years until my visit to the place to undestand that RAF Apuldram is the same airfield as RAF Appledram:-)
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

As much as I'm enjoying this Welsh lesson (which I started, I know) can anyone tell me about the squadron's move to Wales for this 6-month period? I assume it was some kind of rest and refit period but I notice there were also convoy patrol ops going on from there too.
    David

Thanks

Gents

The location is Porth Nefyn, Near Morfa Nefyn, Lleyn peninsula OS ref. SH298409

regards

DaveW

Thanks

According to the bits and pieces on the net, 615 Squadron moved to Valley in April from Kenley for the purpose of 'defensive duties and convoy patrols'. They had taken over from 312 Squadron. They later moved south again, September, to Manston. I would presume that there would be some training of new pilots during this period as well.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

Thanks

According to the ORB ( which is very sparse on detail) it was very much operational on shipping patrols and raiders approaching into that area. Rene Mouchotte and Sgt Hamilton attempted to get a Ju88 on 26 Aougust 1941. I am trying to confirm the two Hurricanes serials and codes for that date. Any one help out there please?
    Tony K