Thread: 228 Squadron

Thanks

Default 228 Squadron

Hi
    New to the list but looking for information about ground crew (mechnics) of the 228 Squadron based at Pembroke Dock
    Cheers
    Phil

Thanks

Hi Phil
    Dates might help if there is a clash of information. From Jefford's-RAF Squadrons it seems that 228 were quite mobile from Dec'36 when they formed at Pembroke Dock finally getting Sunderland I's in Nov 38. By Jun 39 they were in Egypt, returning in Sept'39. They went to Egypt again in Jun '40 and also W Africa, returning to Stranraer in Oct'41. After spells in Oban and Lough Erne they returned to Pembroke in May'43 remaining there until disbanding in June '45.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Default 228 Squadon locations

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    Hi Phil
    Dates might help if there is a clash of information. From Jefford's-RAF Squadrons it seems that 228 were quite mobile from Dec'36 when they formed at Pembroke Dock finally getting Sunderland I's in Nov 38. By Jun 39 they were in Egypt, returning in Sept'39. They went to Egypt again in Jun '40 and also W Africa, returning to Stranraer in Oct'41. After spells in Oban and Lough Erne they returned to Pembroke in May'43 remaining there until disbanding in June '45.
    Regards
    Dick
    I'm sorry I have no info about ground crew on 228, but I can offer a little more about some of the movements you mention: my father's first squadron posting was to 228, and the first entry in his logbook there was 12/12/42 in Oban. He flew for several months as 2nd pilot to F/L Maynard, later to become Air Chief Marshal Sir Nigel Maynard.

Anyway, the logbook page for Febuary 1943 is headed "228 Sqn Lough Erne", and then in May "228 Sqn P.D.", where he remained until posted to 201 Sqn at Lough Erne in August '43.

Regards

Chris
    Last edited by 240 Gardner; 26th March 2009 at 20:11. Reason: typo