Thread: Questions posted to 254 Sqdn website

Thanks

Default Questions posted to 254 Sqdn website

These are a few questions posted to our website that we have been unable to assist with.
    It is hoped that the expertise on this board will help solve some of these quieries.
    Happy new year to you all.

1. am writting the biography of the SGT Robert Emile MERTENS who was lost in mission on the 11 august 1944 with F/O Pierre de THEUX de MEYLANDT de MONTJARDIN et du SAINT-EMPIRE. They were belgian pilots in the 254th Squadron RAF.
    Can you give me information about him ?
    Thank you.
    Philippe HARDAT
    Commission d’Histoire de l’Entité Manageoise (CHEM)
    Belgium

2. I came upon this site as my Dad W/O John F Magrath was in 254 Squadron flying Beaufighter’s as a navigator. He joined as a AC2 A.C.R.C St John’s Wood London in 1942 and finished at C.C. H.Q Northwood Middlesex in 1946 as a W/O. He took part in training in torpedo’s over the Isle of Man.I have a list of all the places he went to during the war and I would like to find out more. My dad passed away in 2005 a is greatly missed by all the family, he left 2 children and 2 grandchildren. He worked in L.A.C.C. (which he started) in Lloyd’s of London. Please feel free to contact me should you have any further information.
    Thanks for a great site.
    Mike Magrath.

3.Hello,

Came across this board googling for information on Sgt. Savage.

My late grandmother had an RAF boyfriend during the war and I recently found a photo of him. All that is written on the back is W.O. A.P. Sgt. Alan Savage. Apparently he went MIA at some point and she never heard of/from him again.

I’ve not found an Alan Savage listed with the CWGC and happened across the name of one F/Sgt Alan Savage of 254 Squadron as receiving the DFM in the London Gazette of Sept 1941.

Can anyone shed any light if this might be the same Sgt. Savage who was part of the Blenheim IV P6950 crew that was shot down off the shore of Stavanger?

4. My late father, Flight Lieutenant Ken Gillies, was with No. 254(Blenheim) Squadron between November 1939 and April 1940. During that time I beleive that one of his gunners was a Pilot Officer Maxwell Morison, I am trying to trace any available information on that officer - one of the early commissioned Air Gunners - and would appreciate any help that can be given.

Thanks in anticipation

John
    Paul Emery

254 Squadron Website
    www2.bc.edu/~emerypa/254

Thanks

Hi Paul,

Beaufighter X
    NT943

F/O P M R G De T De M Et Montjardin
    F/Sgt R E Mertens

Op: Shipping Sweep, Time Up 19:14 hrs

Ditched into channel in position 50 22N 00 21E at 22:43 hrs. Cause unknown. F/O De Theux De Meylandt Et Montjardin, Chevalier de l'Ordre de Leopold avec Palme, Croix de Guerre, 1940 avec Palme, and F/Sgt Mertens are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

The Sgt Savage associated with P6950 is the same guy as the Alan Patrick Savage Gazetted 26/09/41 while serving with No.254 Sqn.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Both airmen of Beaufighter NT943 have symbolic graves in the Place of Honour Belgian Airmen (Ereperk der Vliegers) at Evère near Brussels; MONTJARDIN III/44 and MERTENS III/45.

Henk.

Thanks

NT943 = U

The ORB entry for the day
    http://www.danishww2pilots.dk/sorties.php?id=1742

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War