Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water temperature - Iceland - 1941

Thanks

Default Water temperature - Iceland - 1941

Somewhat off forum, but...
    Researching one of our village casualties lost in convoy SC 42 10/11 September, 1941, between Cape Farewell, southern Greenland, and Iceland.
    Any Met. forumites kindly offer a possible mean water temperature in that area / time?
    Regards
    Stewart Mcloughlin

Thanks

Stewart,

I don't have any charts, but I'd guess about 10-12C at that time of year. You could try emailing the Met Office at enquiries@metoffice.gov.uk , but it is unlikely there is any data pertinent to that particular month/year (wartime - no data). However, there are maps of mean sea temperature that would give you a ball-park figure.

Brian

Thanks

Hello Stewart,

Think the link below can give you all the answers:

"Average temperatures based on data assembled between 1941 and 1972"

Included a Survival Chart.

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/NAO/NAOC02.HTM

Best regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

I think, Stewart, you perhaps need to be a little more precise as to where the loss occurred. There are two main currents in the region, a cold NE'ly flowing along the east coast of Greenland towards Cape Farewell, and a warmer offshoot from the Gulf Stream (Irminger Current) that flows north along the west coast of Iceland. I have to admit I was thinking more along the lines of the loss being towards Iceland, hence the suggestion of 10-12C in September, which agrees reasonably well with Finn's reference. Elsewhere, if you take a direct line between south Greenland and Iceland, the sea would obviously be colder, with the minumum being near Greenland, but certainly above freezing as there is no ice that far south in late summer.

If you go to http://www.getaforecast.com/weatherpix-seatemp.htm you will find the latest sea surface temperature charts (look at the first and last chart of three) that give some idea of the temperature gradient, but for September add on 4-5 C for the area west of Iceland.

Brian

Thanks

Hello again Stewart and Brian,

http://www.warsailors.com/convoys/sc42.html

-----------------------------

http://www.uboat.net/ops/convoys/sc-42.htm

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/

Convoy - type SC-42

Then you have all the damaged or lost ships.

Then push on the link with the name of the ship, where your village casualty was onboard.

Then you have the details about the loss, included the location of loss.

Best regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Now anyone would have thought you'd get a straight answer to a straight question, but again you forumites come up with so much valuable and sourceful(?) information, I'm going to be staying up late again looking at all these sites. I was planning an early night for a change, but......
    Seems some of us go around and around seeking new life and new..... eh Finn Buch. Got to get that last bit of information. Because if/when I give a presentation on this subject, someone will ask, "...and what would the water temperature be...?"
    There were no survivors on this particular incident, so no one to say if they were in the warmer Gulf Stream or not. Location however was noted by others as 63-14N / 37-12W.
    Closing in to the last bit on this particular casualty now.
    Thanks to all once again, the usual mine of information. I shall do as you suggest.
    Stewart

Thanks

In that case I'd suggest something in the range of 3-6C, Stewart.

If you can identify the U-boat responsible, it might be possible to obtain it's account of the attack (providing it was not sunk before returning to Germany). I can give you a contact address if you email me through the forum links.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 21st December 2007 at 07:39. Reason: Afterthought

Thanks

U-82 carried out the mission.
    It was itself sunk on 6 February, 1942, north of the Azores. by HMS's Rochester and Tamarisk.
    Again all hands lost as in our casualty's ship.
    Stewart

Thanks

I can't promise anything Stewart, but leave it to me to make some enquiries. One question - the name of the ship?

Brian

Thanks

Stewart,
    You have clearly not worked with Met Men/Women before!!!!! Giving direct answers to direct questions is not in their natures!!!!! Any answers that may be given will be set about with lots of "possiblies", "maybe's", "occasionally's", and even the odd "but sometimes to the lee of high ground"!!!!, etc, etc.
    The first port of call for any Inquiry in to any a/c accident is ALWAYs the Met forecast/actual. We learn/learned to very circumspect!!!!
    Nevertheless, there is a vast amount of met data in the archive - but it does take some time to extract!
    Maybe/sometime a member of the RafCommands Met Section!!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies