Thread: Who and What, where is Eastchurch

Thanks

Default Who and What, where is Eastchurch

Can anyone tell me more about this photo, I think it is a Gladiator? Said to be at Eastchurch, my thoughts are the lads are OTC or similar.Pete

Thanks

Default Eastchurch

Pete,
    Eastchurch is on the Isle of Sheppey and 5 miles SE of Sheerness. Opened 1911 and closed 1946 (Willis & Hollis). One of the earliest airfields ever. Mostly Flying Training during WW2. Now an establishment for persons residing at Her Majesty's Pleasure (and expense!). Reputed at one stage in WW2 to be where so-called LMF persons were sent (Willis & Hollis delicately call it an "Aircrew Re-Selection Centre").
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 2nd January 2009 at 14:35.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    Pete,
    Eastchurch is on the Isle of Sheppey and 5 miles SE of Sheerness. Opened 1911 and closed 1946 (Willis & Hollis). One of the earliest airfields ever. Mostly Flying Training during WW2. Now an establishment for persons residing at Her Majesty's Pleasure (and expense!). Reputed at one stage in WW2 to be where so-called LMF persons were sent (Willis & Hollis delicately call it an "Aircrew Re-Selection Centre").
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Thanks Peter, It was this photo that was of interest, I know the station and its history well, Dad was trained as an armourer there 1937ish. Pete

Thanks

I have just joined this forum, so hello to everyone.

Eastchurch, though closed since 1950 and built on by HM Prisons still retains some of its aviation heritage. The pre-1918 era hangar is still there (at least it was last time I flew over, a couple of years back) and can easily be distinguished on Google maps at location 51.392371, 0.844220 just south of the road called "Short's Prospect", distinguishable by the 3 gables along the southern edge of the building.

Thanks

During the first half of 1940 Eastchurch was the main Polish AF personnel centre, until it moved to Blackpool. I have a number of photos taken there.