Thread: 34 Squadron casualties Dec 1941 to end Feb 1942

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default 34 Squadron casualties Dec 1941 to end Feb 1942

I rather suspect that there isn't an easy answer to my question but will ask anyway. Is there any resource which would allow me to identify those who were killed in action, or later died in captivity, who were members of 34 Squadron from the time of the Japanese invasion and the withdrawal of the Squadron to India?

I am presuming this may be possible from the ORB, should it exist in its entirety, but was just wondering if there was any way of circumventing that route?

Regards,

Kevin Mears

Thanks

Default 34 Squadron

Hi Kevin

Have you checked 'Bloody Shambles' Volumes I and II?

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Hi, Brian.

No, I haven't checked them as I don't have them. They are now on the shopping list but God only knows when I'll be able to obtain them. Do they contain a definitive list of all those killed with 34 Squadron, both during the period up to March 1942 and those who died either in PoW Camps or during enforced labour on the railways etc.?

Regards,

Kevin Mears

Thanks

Default 34 Squadron

Hi Kevin

The short answer is no!

Give me a day or so and I will have a look - it's a long time ago since I helped write those two volumes.

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Hello Kevin,

I can't vouch for its completeness but you could use Geoff Sullivans CWGC search engine to identify English or UK casualties from the squadron.
    http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/search39-47.php

Set the dates to what ever you need.

Place "34 S" into the unit field and leave it set to starts with

And select Royal Air Force from the Regiment/Corps drop down menu.

I set date of 07/12/1941-01/01/1947 and got 99 casualties, some of whom may be the men your looking for. This method has also found men from 34 (SAAF) Sqn, so the 99 men are not all RAF 34 Sqn. Sadly this will not find Canadian or Australian, New Zealand men as they sometimes don;t have the unit listed against them and the database needs to be set to that country name - Geoff himself might be able to help you with those searchs.

Note: The digitisation of the CWGC records or perhaps other reasons has placed many RAF dead with 34 Sqdn whereas this should read 34 SAAF Sqdn, this is suggested by their being buried in Europe in 1944 etc when RAF 34 Sqdn was still in India/Burma. So, its a bit hit and miss and not the fault of the search engine.

See what you think with it.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 3rd January 2009 at 21:52. Reason: More info
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Brian.

Good God! What an amazing place this internet can be. You ask an idle question and find it answered by no less than the author of one of the primary sources you need to consult! Any information you may offer would be most gratefully received.

Denis.

Will follow your suggestion and have a good look at that later. This is something I didn't know was available so will definitely try it out. Thank you very much for the help.

Regards,

Kevin Mears