Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 34 Squadron casualties Dec 1941 to end Feb 1942

Thanks

Default 34 Squadron

Hi guys

Dennis - I can't open the site you mention! I am unaware of the O'Driscoll story.

Regarding Sgt Connell's death on 12/13 December, I believe he was flying as AG in 34 Squadron Blenheim V5379 piloted by Flt Lt JW Appleton (with Plt Off TH Bigmore as observer), both of whom were seriously injured in the crash.

Henk - thanks for the serial number of the 34 Squadron Blenheim (Z5796) lost either 16th or 20th January. Progress!

Regarding dates, a general observation of this very traumatic and chaotic period (as with Crete in May 1941), is that dates of deaths of individuals may be uncertain, in my opinion. Sadly, men died and survivors endeavoured to provide details. That's total war.

Errol - I overlooked the entry for Sgt J.E. Smith RNZAF (it's on p.288 of 'Bloody Shambles' Volume I) lost on 11 January 1941, with Sgts Hildebrand and Brown. Apologies.

Let's keep this thread going to see if we can unravel the remaining queries.

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

I've updated the list above again based on those comments.

If anyone wants the spread sheet to play with email me at dp_burke@yahoo.com

Which Squadron shall we do next! Only joking.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default 34 Squadron

Hi Dennis

I've now been able to check that website - it seems to me that Finan O'Driscoll was probably killed in the Blenheim on 20 January, together with his crew.

Anyway, that's a great bit of research by all concerned - the wonder of the web!

Why not another squadron? I'm a bit limited to the theatres covered by my research/books but I'm game to offer what I can.

Kevin started the 34 Squadron inquest, so hope he is pleased with the results.

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

To all.

Sorry I haven't been around for a while but rest assured I am extremely pleased with the outcome of your efforts. It will take me a while to take all this in.

Once again I am overwhelmed by the kindness of strangers.

Thank you again.

Kevin Mears

Thanks

Hi Dennis,

As requested.

The details of my fathers service with 34 Squadron.

Name: Thomas Alfred GAMBLE.
    Number; 1068903
    Trade: Wireless Mechanic
    Rank L.A.C Promoted T/Cpl 1st March 1942.

Joined 34 Squadron 20/1/42

Dep POR 522/42 Admitted BMH Allahabad 13/6/42
    Discharged BMH Allahabad 22/6/42 POR Confirm Arrival 522/42
    Dep POR 3514/43 Admitted BMH Madras 18/8/43
    Discharged BMH Madras 20/8/43 POR Confirm Arrival 3514/43

Joined 7034. S.E. 20/10/44

Unfortunately I only have his Service record from RAF PMA.
    The two periods he spent in hospital will most like have been due to his Duodenal Ulcer. He was discharged due to it in 1947 and received a pension as a result.

He never spoke of being wounded.

I may be able to lay my hands on some photos next time I talk to my Sister in Law.

Sorry I can't give you more information. But every bit helps.

regards,
    Tom.

Thanks

Thanks Tom,

as a ground crew member we will find less information but who knows what people will turn up.

That said, you can see the type of operations he would have supported, the men in the lists above he may have known, worked on their aircraft, mourned their loss etc.

Your fathers efforts would have meant more of them were able to come back safely from missions.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Good evening,
    I am the nephew of F/O 54211 Stanley Andersen, 34 Sqn, RAF Tengah. Killed 03/01/1942. Buried at Taiping Cemetery, shared grave 15/16, row 2K.

I am trying to find out as much info as I can of him. Such as, were the crew found shortly after the crash (shot down) or much later. There is some confusion within my family here.

I have quite a few photos of both Stanley and my father in Singapore (with a Christmas lunch with 34 Sqn included).

My father was Ft/Lt Victor Andersen, RAF Intelligence and was in Singapore up until shortly before it fell. He returned to the UK and went to the School of Oriental Languages where he learned Japanese and then returned to the Far East.

Thanks

Hello,

FAR EAST

Attack on convoy.
    Sat 3 Jun 1942
    34 Squadron, RAF (Tengah, Singapore)

Blenheim IV V5388 - took off with two others on a patrol along the western coast of Malaya. At least two of the Blenheims located and bombed two vessels off Kuala Selangor, a number of small craft were machine gunned ten miles south of Penang. V5388 was brought down further north, some 200 yards off the coast, about 3 miles from Yen. All three crew are buried at Taiping.

Pilot: NZ405289 Plt Off James Garfield LOMAX, Age 29.

See:
    For Your Tomorrow A Record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 Volume One: Fates 1915-1942.
    Martyn,Errol W.
    Christchurch:Volplane Press,1998
    p.169

Crew:

NZ405289 P/O (Pilot) James Garfield LOMAX RNZAF +
    45211 F/O (A./Obs.) Stanley Walter ANDERSEN RAF +
    564864 F/Sgt (A./Obs.) Roy Frank Richard JAMES RAF +

This crew were originally posted as missing at the time of their loss. In a listing I have of Far East losses, they are still listed as missing in 1945/6. The CWGC states that the crew were buried at the Christian Cemetery Alor Star on 28 August, 1946, and later reburied at Taiping Military Cemetery on 23 May, 1947.

Errol Martyn (a member of this Forum), might be able to add to the above.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 1st January 2018 at 06:42.

Thanks

Many thanks for that information, it explains a lot of things. I have also been bought a 1:32 scale model of a Mk VI Blenheim and once built and painted, I will be able to put my uncles actual ID letters on it.
    I am led to believe that despite his being killed in 1942, he would have been entitled to the GSM and 39-45 Star. Is this correct? If so, I will get a set to mount alongside my fathers medals.

Thanks

Hello Kim,

Further to Col's post, here is the biographical entry for Lomax from the third volume of my trilogy:

LOMAX, Pilot Officer James Garfield.
    NZ405289; b Wynyard, Tas., Australia 18 Aug 12; to NZ; Seddon Mem TColl, Auckland; carpenter - Rope Construction Ltd, Auckland. RNZAF Levin/GTS as Airman Pilot u/t 22 Dec 40, 4EFTS 9 Feb 41, 1FTS 24 Mar 41, f/ldg acc (uninj) 3 Jun 41, Pilots Badge [wef 3.5.41] Comm 14 Jun 41, att RAF & emb for Singapore 2 Jul 41, arr 4 Aug 41, [postings wanting], 34 Sqn (Blenheim), kao 3 Jan 42. Taiping War Cemetery - 2.K. joint grave 15-16, Malaysia. Son of Roland Henry & Mary Lomax (née Simes), Auckland. [phot. TWN 11.2.42]

I have a couple of small snippets of possible interest from Lomax's RNZAF service record that I could copy to you if you would let me have your email address. Mine is errol.martyn ATT xtra.co.nz

Errol