Thread: N/F Encounter

Thanks

Default N/F Encounter

Gents

Have you any details on an N/F enounter on 27/28th June, target Bremen.

Sergeant Falconer was attacked and R9333 HA-F extensively damaged by a night fighter, the instrument panel, turret controls and airframe all were hit, the bomb load was jettisoned at 01.30hrs 3 miles S.E of Makkam. The damage was so bad that the Stirling did not return to service until January 1943.

Any ideas. ?

Regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi Steve, i can't help identify the fighter, but i presume you have seen Falconer's DFM citation which states the attacking aircraft to be a JU88 and ME110:

“Temporary Sgt S G Falconer was Captain of a Stirling aircraft which set out to raid Bremen on the night of 27/28th June 1942. About two miles over the Dutch coast, in the light of a full moon, the aircraft was attacked by a JU88, which climbed suddenly from about 3000 feet below on the port bow, passed underneath hand then came in on the port quarter. At the same time Sgt Falconer saw a second JU88 coming in from the starboard bow and, immediately afterwards, the rear gunner reported an ME110 approaching from dead astern. The ME110 and the rear gunner opened fire simultaneously at about 350 yards, the Stirling’s rear turret being rendered useless at once. The mid upper gunner took over fire control but a burst from the Messerschmitt, which was now coming in from the starboard and above, put that turret out of action. In the mean time the first JU88 had shot away the British bombers rear turret pipe lines and the second JU88 had been pumping her with tracer. The first JU88 attacked from dead ahead and, although the front gunner returned fire, his turret was rendered unserviceable after the first burst. During the whole of the combat, Sgt Falconer had been taking violent evasive action. Just when it seemed like he had shaken off his three attackers, a single engined unidentified enemy fighter appeared and raked the Stirling from nose to tail. The complete battle lasted for nearly 20 minutes and was fought from 15 000 feet down to sea level (the Stirling’s trailing aerial was actually whipped off over the Zuider Zee). With two of his crew wounded, his front mid upper turrets useless, his astrodome, blind flying panel and oxygen system shot away, flying controls and control stick damaged, brake system, intercom and TR9 out of action, Sgt Falconer set course for home and weaved his way through strong concentrations of light flak over the Dutch coast. Sgt Falconer showed daring and adroitness of a very high order. His cool courage and command of the situation were remarkable. His expert and stout hearted captaincy undoubtedly saved the lives of his crew. He has now taken part in 20 operational sorties embracing 101 operational hours. His loyalty, fearlessness and sense of duty are outstanding. He is very strongly recommended for the immediate award of the DFM.”

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that, yes I was aware of the citation. I was hoping that there was a way of identifying the night fighter pilots & units.

Thank you anyway and Happy New year.

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Default DFC Citations Required

Gentlemen,

Can anyone help with the DFC citations for

P/O W.G.J Woodmason 46823 RAF LG 13.02.1942
    F/Lt T.A Stanley 113849 RAF LG 26.06.1942

I have checked Carters DFC volumns.

Kind regards

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Default Seeking family information

I am seeking any information regarding p/o WGJ Woodmason who flew with 218 squadron. Records show he was lost coming back from Gander April 1942, these list him as Ferry Command. I would particularly like to know the whereabouts of his dfc or what training course he was doing in Canada. His widow is very frail now and we are currently trying to assemble a record so that his memory is not lost.