Thread: W/Cdr Kirkpatrick DFC Injury ?

Thanks

Default W/Cdr Kirkpatrick DFC Injury ?

Gents,

Citation for DFC, however I cannot pin point the date or circustances of the accident where W/Cdr Kirkpatrick was injured, no ref in the Station or squadron ORB. I think it was 14/15th October, Wellington Z8865 HA-O crashed Marham, target Nurnburg. Any help most welcome.

Wing Commander Herbert James Kirkpatrick,

This officer has commanded the squadron for some time, except for a period of a few weeks due to an injury received while trying to save members of his squadron when a aircraft crashed and bomb exploded. He has displayed great coolness, leadership and courage during operational missions, many of which have been carried out at low altitudes. He has done much to instil confidence and fighting spirit in the young crews with home he has flown. Wing Commander Kirkpatrick has also exhibited a high standard of initiative and resource when his station has been subjected to enemy attack.

Regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Default W/C Kirkpatrick

Hi Steve

I don't know if this is a possibility and could lead somewhere but something I found VERY helpful when researching "my" Squadron (214) up at Kew was a set of Operations Officer's Log Books from Stradishall and Chedburgh. Have you come across any of those before?

I got from them tons of useful info not found in the ORB's. As you might imagine from the title, the books are basically 'day-books' (maintained, I imagine, in the airfield control tower?) setting out chronologically through each day relevant "goings-on" such as a/c arrivals, departures and 'failed to returns' (brilliant, by comparing take-off and landing times, for providing a/c code letters for the a/c serials as given in the ORB), weather details, incoming operational orders, phone messages, alert warnings of enemy a/c in the vicinity, etc, etc.

I've tried looking in the catalogue for similar log books from other airfields but unfortunately there don't seem to be that many of them. Which is a great shame as I certainly found these were an absolute 'gold' for my research.

I haven't checked whether there are any for Marham(?) but if there are it might give you some extra details and supply the answer you're looking for.

Just a thought, and may be worth a look. If nothing else, maybe an excuse for a trip to Kew!

Cheers

Ian
    Last edited by ianh; 6th January 2009 at 13:24. Reason: typo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianh View Post
    Hi Steve

I don't know if this is a possibility and could lead somewhere but something I found VERY helpful when researching "my" Squadron (214) up at Kew was a set of Operations Officer's Log Books from Stradishall and Chedburgh. Have you come across any of those before?

I got from them tons of useful info not found in the ORB's. As you might imagine from the title, the books are basically 'day-books' (maintained, I imagine, in the airfield control tower?) setting out chronologically through each day relevant "goings-on" such as a/c arrivals, departures and 'failed to returns' (brilliant, by comparing take-off and landing times, for providing a/c code letters for the a/c serials as given in the ORB), weather details, incoming operational orders, phone messages, alert warnings of enemy a/c in the vicinity, etc, etc.

I've tried looking in the catalogue for similar log books from other airfields but unfortunately there don't seem to be that many of them. Which is a great shame as I certainly found these were an absolute 'gold' for my research.

I haven't checked whether there are any for Marham(?) but if there are it might give you some extra details and supply the answer you're looking for.

Just a thought, and may be worth a look. If nothing else, maybe an excuse for a trip to Kew!

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I must confess I have never seen the Operations Officer's Log Books, I have a copy of the 3 Group Log Book, but not for a aerodrome. By chance, I am at the NA on Friday & Saturday so I will do abit of nose about.

Thanks again

Smudger
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Default W/C Kirkpatrick

Hi Steve

Good luck. As I said, if you can find an Ops Officer's Log Book for 'your' airfield it could be very helpful. I certainly found them to be a most interesting and valuable find. They're nothing fancy, not typed-up and official like the ORB's. The ones I looked at were more like foolscap-sized hardback books (probably bought from Woolworths!) with the various entries handwritten-in, diary-like, as each day progressed.

But no doubt you'll enjoy the days at Kew anyway.

Ian

ps Don't they have Station ORB's too? Is there one of those for Marham? Maybe something in there?
    Last edited by ianh; 6th January 2009 at 16:29. Reason: added ps