Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bomber Command Night Reports.

Thanks

Default Bomber Command Night Reports.

Would anyone here be able to tell me where I might find Bomber Command Night Reports please? My understanding is that they are a kind of complete report on each nights operations. I am, in the first instance, looking in particular for the night report for the night of 17th/18th January 1943 covering the Berlin raid.

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin Mears.

Thanks

Kevin,

I recall seeing files in the NA that were monthly summaries by one of the Groups - these included acounts of raids in which the Group was involved. I think it was 3 Group, and there is certainly a series of files AIE14/2363 - AIR14/2367 (Monthly summary of events) covering April 1940 to November 1945.

I think I was looking something up for Max (Galgos) at the time, so it is just possible he still has the file reference. Unfortunately I've deleted our exchange of emails.

However, you might be better served by AIR14/2984-AIR13/2984 (PFF attacks by Main Force on enemy targets: briefing statements and reports). I have not viewed these files so do not know what they contain.

I have been unable to find any corresponding HQ Bomber Command files, but surely they must exist somewhere. You could try asking Hendon for a lead.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 15th November 2007 at 07:50. Reason: Spelling

Thanks

Hi Kevin and Brian,
    Yes, I remember it well!!! I'll have a look at my files when I get home, but Kevin you can also get copies of raid reports for specific times if you write to the Air Historical Branch.
    Regards
    Max

Thanks

Max,

Thanks for that - silly though it might seem I'd not given AHB a thought. It had been very helpful with some of my research early on, but then my few letter/emails stopped being answered so I assumed there had been a change of regime.

Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian,

My understanding of the current situation at the AHB is that it has more to do with funding than direction within the group.

Lurking in the background is a massive change to how the Casework departments of the RAFPMA will operate which will also impact on the future role of the AHB.

Regards
    Ross

Thanks

Thank you Ross, I only hope RAFPMA comes up with the more sensible approach taken by Australia and Canada. What is so frustrating is that on the occasions I have been able to contact the families of wartime casualties, they have always been extremely interested and only too willing to help.

You know my interest is in Met Office wartime casualties, but that has no record of people at all. At one time personnel records were retained for 100 years before destruction and some of these would have contained extremely valuable historical information. However, during the late 1990s this all changed and apparently now no records at all are kept - full stop! I worked in the organisation for over 40 years, but even I cannot now obtain a record of my service, and I only retired in 2001.

Brian

Thanks

Brian wrote:
    "What is so frustrating is that on the occasions I have been able to contact the families of wartime casualties, they have always been extremely interested and only too willing to help."

I couldn't agree more Brian, in every instance where I have been able to let families know the details of their loved ones, they have been so grateful. I even had a phone call out of the blue last week from the nephew of one airman telling me that he was at Shannon airport on his way to the Reichswald War Cemetery to look at his uncle's grave.

If only "the Authorities" would acknowledge this instead of coming up with spurious excuses about privacy infringements, life would be easier and more fulfilling for all of us.

Max

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Mears View Post
    Would anyone here be able to tell me where I might find Bomber Command Night Reports please? My understanding is that they are a kind of complete report on each nights operations. I am, in the first instance, looking in particular for the night report for the night of 17th/18th January 1943 covering the Berlin raid.

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin Mears.

Kevin,

I have the Bomber Command Night Raid Reports, if you can give me a week I will copy the raid you want.

Cheers

Smudger
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve.

Thank you for that. It would be most appreciated. The raid in question is the one to Berlin which took place on the 17th/18th January 1943. i will reimburse you for any costs incurred. Let me know whether you want my email or postal address and I will PM them to you.

Thanks again.

kev35

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galgos View Post
    Brian wrote:
    "What is so frustrating is that on the occasions I have been able to contact the families of wartime casualties, they have always been extremely interested and only too willing to help."

I couldn't agree more Brian, in every instance where I have been able to let families know the details of their loved ones, they have been so grateful. I even had a phone call out of the blue last week from the nephew of one airman telling me that he was at Shannon airport on his way to the Reichswald War Cemetery to look at his uncle's grave.

If only "the Authorities" would acknowledge this instead of coming up with spurious excuses about privacy infringements, life would be easier and more fulfilling for all of us.

Max
    Just to reinforce the above observation; I've been contacted along similar lines by some 10% of the rellies of the nearly 5000 individuals covered in my 'For Your Tomorrow' volumes about New Zealand casualties. The most common theme is profuse thanks for providing them for the first time (60 or so years after the event) with the circumstances of the fate of a loved one. In the nine years since publication of the first volume I've never once received a single 'privacy' query or complaint.

'Privacy', it seems to me, is too often used as an excuse by bureaucrats who simply can't be bothered. The words 'We will remember them' are completely lost on them.

Errol