Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: German raid of British radar station in WWII

Thanks

Default German raid of British radar station in WWII

Hello Brian,

You are correct. I've just found in my library, the BBC DVD Documentary Box set "Great Raids of World War II". Volume two has the chapter " Radar Beam Raiders" about the Bruneval mission.

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

There were never any landings of enemy forces on mainland UK. People on here and elsewhere are getting confused with a book and film called 'The Eagle has Landed' and a few lesser known fictions.
    As for the Bruneval raid (Operation Biting) this was a successful ‘Combined Ops’ raid, on a German position in France to capture enemy radar equipment and then bring it back to the UK. The secret mission to do this was planned and carried out, in part, at RAF Tilshead. The operation was led by Johnny Frost, later of Arnhem Bridge fame.

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Hello Brian,

You are correct. I've just found in my library, the BBC DVD Documentary Box set "Great Raids of World War II". Volume two has the chapter " Radar Beam Raiders" about the Bruneval mission.

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TilsheadLodge View Post
    There were never any landings of enemy forces on mainland UK. People on here and elsewhere are getting confused with a book and film called 'The Eagle has Landed' and a few lesser known fictions.
    As for the Bruneval raid (Operation Biting) this was a successful ‘Combined Ops’ raid, on a German position in France to capture enemy radar equipment and then bring it back to the UK. The secret mission to do this was planned and carried out, in part, at RAF Tilshead. The operation was led by Johnny Frost, later of Arnhem Bridge fame.
    As I wrote, the book quotes something from Lycock in a RUSI journal. If there was a raid then one person who would be certain to have been informed and probably investigated it, is Laycock.

Another book describes what seems like a separate incident but is vaguer and just describes a major alert in the South of England and second hand comments from others.
    MB

Thanks

Default Laycock, RUSI etc

Quote Originally Posted by mbriscoe View Post
    As I wrote, the book quotes something from Lycock in a RUSI journal. If there was a raid then one person who would be certain to have been informed and probably investigated it, is Laycock.

Another book describes what seems like a separate incident but is vaguer and just describes a major alert in the South of England and second hand comments from others.
    I would like some info if someone out there can help. Being a new boy I have not got my head around this site yet. I am well aware of RUSI and have worked on some of their publications (produced by an outsourced publications company).
    Excuse my ignorance but who is Laycock?
    Chris

Thanks

Chris,
    You may have to spend some time (and , possibly, money?) by going through the records at https://www.iow.gov.uk/Residents/Lib...ecords-Office/. Not just to find what might be there, but - of equal importance - what might be "closed", or 'missing' entirely. The Police archives can be valuable sources of info/data. And, in coastal districts (such as this!) the Coastguard logs.
    Google Robert Laycock and/or Layforce to come up to speed with the background to this (alleged) incident.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thank you Peter,
    After years of part time research, usually into everything and anything Airborne, I am suprised that I have not come across Laycock earlier. Recent research into the world of combined Ops (Bruneval Raid), took me on a trail to the 'RAF Commands' site. That is how I ended up here, looking for information on a place called RAF Tilshead on Salisbury Plain.
    Chris

Thanks

Chris,
    At one stage in my nefarious career I was involved in exercise planning amphibious/para insertions into hostile territory - so I am aware of some of the technicalities! Look at the geographic problems on GE!
    In 1941 the Germans were still in the process of finding which way was up in the Channel Is. In 1941 the fledgling German para forces were discovering that Crete was not as easy as the 'armchair generals' had made out! On some of the planning exercises we studied Op BITING in detail. This was an Op where there was a tactical met man (a) in the planning team, and (b) also at the departure airfield.
    It is 66 nm from Alderney to Ventnor by sea. I don't know what the sea-level radar coverage from UK was in 1941 (CHL?). I don't know where the mine-fields (both marine and on land) were.
    Ventnor Radar Sta is 800 ft AMSL. Attacking forces would have to climb 800 ft from landing to objective, under fire.
    One route is from Ventnor Beach to the Radar - 2100 yds. The first 500 yds is through (heavily defended?) urban buildings.
    Another (most direct?) route is from King’s Bay Rd to the Radar - 1250 yds. Ditto route 1.
    I doubt if such a raid took place. I would go so far as to say that there might (rpt, might) have been an armed recce (by E/R-boat) - or even only a plan for an armed recce! But no more than that.
    Done more time on Ex at West Down Camp as part of the 38 Grp element in "jointery" than is good for a young man!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    Google Robert Laycock and/or Layforce to come up to speed with the background to this (alleged) incident.
    Major-General Sir Robert Edward Laycock KCMG CB DSO KStJ
    Chief of Combined Operations in 1943, before that various positions in the Commando
    MB

Thanks

Hi Peter, thank you for the message. I agree with your view as to what may have taken place, if anything thing did at all. It would have been 'chain home' at this time I think, but I know little of the technicalities of Radar etc.
    My interest in Tilshead has been reborn, so for the time being I will be trying to find out more about RAF Tilshead itself, as it appears to have cast a 'spell' over me. I have spent time in holes in the ground on Salisbury Plain, parachuted onto it, fired a multitude of weapons on the ranges there, my first wife came from there and I now live there.
    Very spooky.
    Chris

Thanks

I am not sure why the contemtuous approach to the German special forces. They operated since the start of the war, and frankly speaking I was surprised there was no activity on the British side of the Channel. Certainly it was within reach, though, I guess, they were busy elsewhere for most part of the war. So the mention of the single action seems quite intriguing.
    https://www.facebook.com/Franciszek-Grabowski-241360809684411/