Thread: F/L H V Bang (169453, RAFVR), Danish, 179 Sqn, 1944?

Thanks

Default F/L H V Bang (169453, RAFVR), Danish, 179 Sqn, 1944?

Looking for information on the Danish Hans Vilhelm Bang I once again tested the London Gazette search engine and I had - to my surprise - 3 matches.

According to Gazette Issue 39262 published on the 15 June 1951 he retains rank and is appointed to commission (5 years) as F/O on 5.2.1951 in the reconstituted RAFVR.

I am a bit surprised to find a Dane in RAFVR in 1951. A UK Incoming passenger list from 1956 confirms that while he still lived in the UK, he was a Danish citizen. Would it be normal to see a foreigner in service 6 years after the war?

Furthermore, I have indications of the man serving in the 179 Sqn in 1944. Would anyone be able to confirm this?

TIA
    Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Would anyone be able to guide me to a reference on 179 squadron / squadron history ?

Regards
    Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel,

There was a short history of 179 Sqn published on pp1110-1112 of the 13-26 April 1990 issue of 'Aviation News' as part of its 'Lesser Known Squadrons' series.

Errol

Thanks

Errol,
    Thank you. Just the kind of lead I needed.

Mikkel