Thread: No. 5 Initial Training Wing, Torquay, Devon

Thanks

Default No. 5 Initial Training Wing, Torquay, Devon

Can anyone add anything to the following information on wartime No. 5 Initial Training Wing Torquay, Devon; in particular other buildings used, formation & disbandment dates and where the classrooms were. Thank you

5 ITW Headquarters: Castle Chambers (formerly County Court Office. Weights and Measures Office)
    5 ITW Accomodation: Hotel Majestic and Hotel Stanbury (both bombed 1943, no knowledge which hotels took over) I
    5 ITW Hospital: Palace Hotel (bombed 1943)
    5 ITW Dining Hall: Torquay Town Hall (now the Assembly Hall)

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 7th January 2009 at 19:43. Reason: adding a date

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Norman

It initially formed at Hastings on 13/11/39 moving to Torquay on 24/6/40. It disbanded on 1/3/44 having trained Pilots, Navs and Bomb Aimers

Source: Flying Training and Support Units/Sturtivant

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Norman,

Ater the Battle Magazine issue no. 118 contains a very interesting and indepth article on the bombing of the RAF Officers' Hospital at the Palace Hotel in Torquay on Sunday, October 25, 1942. As a small aside, you state that the building was the '5 ITW Hospital', which may not be quite correct.

ATB

Jonny

Thanks

Default No 5 Initial Training Wing, Torquay, Devon

Hello Norman,
    I am seeking biographical history about my grandfather (J.A.N. McEwan)who was, for part of his career in Torquay. I have photos of "A" Flight, No. 1 Squadron, 5 I.T.W. January 1942. I think he was squadron leader but I know he eventually became wing commander.
    It is more likely that you can be of more help to me than the other way round but I could send you the photo by e-mail if you wish. I also have one of "B" Flight, 5 I.T.W., September 1942, as well as photos of 13 I.T.W.
    Good to find you. What is your connection with 5 I.T.W.?
    Regards,
    Malcolm

Thanks

Default Wng Cdr J.A.N. McEwan

Hello Malcolm,
    My connection with No 5 Initial Trainining Wing, Torquay, Devon is through the research of my late fathers RAF service history. I applied to the RAF for a copy of his service record and discovered he was a navigator in bomber command on 76 Squadron (Halifaxes). In early 1942 he enlisted at Lords Cricket Ground in London and soon after attended 5 ITW Torquay in Devon, 1 EANS Eastbourne, 48 ANS South Africa, 19 OTU Kinloss, 1633 HCU Rufforth & 76 Sqn Holme-on-Spalding Moor. Over the last few years I have been slowly working through each stage, researching, people, unit and area. I am fortunate in having my fathers wartime photographs showing course and crew photographs through his many stages of training. These have greatly assisted me. The most clearest photograph is 5 ITW, taken along a wall outside the Palace Hotel Torquay and titled:- "B" Flight 5 ITW, April 1942. There are many signatures around the border which are proving most interesting. As you are the grandson of Wg Cdr McEwan, have you considered obtaining his service records from the RAF? - if successful, you receive back a couple of useful "legal" size pages showing details of service movements-postings, detachments, attachments & promotions etc. which may prove useful to you. They are mostly abbreviated but there are many kind experts on this forum who can help you decipher. The RAF do make a charge which when I last used the service was £30 and you also have to prove your kinship. For further details look up their web site:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html

And please let me know if you would like to see the April 1942 "B" Flight 5 ITW photograph.
    Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 29th January 2009 at 21:12. Reason: expanding last line

Thanks

Default 5 Itw

Many thanks for your help Norman. I would appreciate an e-mail of the photo if that is ok. as I could see if my grandfather had moved on by then or not. my address is magslmac@hotmail.com
    Thanks,
    Malcolm

Thanks

Default Blue Plaque and Flypast Rosetor Hotel Torquay

In conjunction with Air Gunners, Torbay Civic Society and the RAFA, the (Torquay based) Turning Point Heritage Trust installed a 'Blue Plaque' on the site of the Rosetor Hotel (now the Riviera Centre) on 28th August 2008 to commemorate the 55,000+ aircrew who trained here. A Lancaster and Hurricane saluted the veterans (Spitfire was U/S).

This is the first step we are taking in getting these aircrew remembered as we will be installing a memorial at a later date. Originally we intended to install a national memorial to bomber command, but this now seems to be well in hand for London, so the ours will be to all those that were KIA after training here.

Before we commence the first stages of the RAF memorial we have two projects to complete - a memorial to the civilians that went to Dunkirk in 'Little Ships' and the restoration of a Dunkirk Little Ship (the Lady Cable) for educational purposes. However, we are researching the RAF presence now and will like to share all information.

Our website ( http://www.tpht.org.uk ) still needs to be updated with this project - and much else, but here are a few press reports of the Blue Plaque events.

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/Flypast-salute-veterans/article-282017-detail/article.html

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/news/Tribute-skiesarticle-296908-details/article.html

Thanks

Hi Norman,
    I saw your reply re: 5 ITW on this forum from a while ago and was wondering if you can help me. My relative Ekanayake Edward Amerasekera (RAF records may show Ameraskera) from Ceylon arrived in England on Sept 28, 1941 and enlisted at Euston on Sept 30, 1941 as an Aircraftman 2nd class RAFVR with the service number 1396932. He was reinstated as U/T Observer on Nov 3, 1941 and posted to 5 ITW on Dec 13, 1941. On Feb 20, 1942 he was promoted to Leading Aircraftman and was posted to 1 Empire Air Navigation School on May 2, 1942, followed by a posting to the 1 Advanced Flying Unit on Sept 26, 1942.

I was wondering if you have any details or photos about his time at 5 ITW between Dec 13, 1941 and May 2, 1942?

You can find more about him at www.ceylonmedals.com/rohan.htm

Thanks,
    Charles Ameresekere

Hello Malcolm,
    My connection with No 5 Initial Trainining Wing, Torquay, Devon is through the research of my late fathers RAF service history. I applied to the RAF for a copy of his service record and discovered he was a navigator in bomber command on 76 Squadron (Halifaxes). In early 1942 he enlisted at Lords Cricket Ground in London and soon after attended 5 ITW Torquay in Devon, 1 EANS Eastbourne, 48 ANS South Africa, 19 OTU Kinloss, 1633 HCU Rufforth & 76 Sqn Holme-on-Spalding Moor. Over the last few years I have been slowly working through each stage, researching, people, unit and area. I am fortunate in having my fathers wartime photographs showing course and crew photographs through his many stages of training. These have greatly assisted me. The most clearest photograph is 5 ITW, taken along a wall outside the Palace Hotel Torquay and titled:- "B" Flight 5 ITW, April 1942. There are many signatures around the border which are proving most interesting. As you are the grandson of Wg Cdr McEwan, have you considered obtaining his service records from the RAF? - if successful, you receive back a couple of useful "legal" size pages showing details of service movements-postings, detachments, attachments & promotions etc. which may prove useful to you. They are mostly abbreviated but there are many kind experts on this forum who can help you decipher. The RAF do make a charge which when I last used the service was 30 and you also have to prove your kinship. For further details look up their web site:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html

And please let me know if you would like to see the April 1942 "B" Flight 5 ITW photograph.
    Norman[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Ceylonmedals (et al)
    I think Norman "flew through the storms into the sunset" a few years ago?
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!