Thread: ORB: No 18 EFTS Fair Oaks

Thanks

Default ORB: No 18 EFTS Fair Oaks

There is some information that I would like to get on my father's service as an instructor at No 18 EFTS Fair Oaks. If someone has easy access to the ORB for this unit, please let me know and we can discuss the details of the information I seek.

Jim

Thanks

Hi Jim

It's actually Fairoaks, just outside Woking in Surrey (SW edge of London), and about 5 miles from where I live.

It's still there and still an operating airfield (light a/c and helicopters). I know because I had a flying lesson from there (a special birthday prezzie - it was great!) just about 2 weeks ago. :-)

Good luck with your quest.

Ian

Thanks

Thanks for that Ian. I had thought afterwards that "Fair Oaks" should have been "Fairoaks", but my historical documents were not close at hand and I didn't check. My dad took my brother and I there in 1970 when we visited my mother's family in Cobham Surrey. We met his old CO, W/C Arthur, who was still flying the DH-82A, and who had been flying since 1914!

My mother's house was in Cobham Surrey and dad liked being close so he could visit. I've got some wonderful old photos of Fairoaks with chaps sitting in wicker chairs outside the flight hut, looking every bit like the Battle of Britain pilots they wished they were! Dad was posted there for quite a while and then went to No 10 FIS Woodley, where he "instructed instructors how to instruct". He found the whole training command thing terribly boring and eventually got posted to the AFU in South Cerney, which began his training process (BAT, OTU and HCU) towards Bomber Command.

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 8th January 2009 at 16:17.

Thanks

Default Fair Oaks

Hello Jim,

I think I have tried to contact you before regarding a photo you posted on another forum. I am writing the history of Fair Oaks and I have considerable amount of information on Wing/Co. Arthur. I was trying to ascertain who were the other individuals outside the "A" Flight Hut and also obtain your permission to use the photo in my book.

Mike Jones