Thread: Stirling shot down 28 January 1942

Thanks

Default Stirling shot down 28 January 1942

Hi guys

I have a note that a Stirling of 15 Squadron was shot down by friendly fire near Whitley Bay on 28 January 1942. Does anyone have any information?

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Brian,
    I cannot find any reference to this event in either Chorley's BCL or Bowyer's "The Stirling Story". Have you any other details that might help pin this one down?
    Best Regards,
    Bill

Thanks

Default Stirling 28/1/42

Hi Bill

The incident is mentioned in the book 'Tirpitz. Hunting the Beast' by John Sweetman (p.22 in the paperback edition), and states that the Stirling crash-landed on the beach after being badly damaged by gunfire from a friendly convoy off Whitley Bay.

One for checking on my next visit to the NA, methinks.

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Brian,

This incident is also mentioned in brief in 'Tirpitz The Halifax Raids' by Nigel Smith. A quote in the book by Don Fink, pilot of 15 Sqdn Stirling N3676 states "...one Halifax shot down in sea on our way to Lossiemouth by our Navy, even though he gave colours of the day. Crash landed on beach. All crew got out."

Another 15 Sqdn airman is quoted as saying this incident took place over Whitley Bay, so pretty sure it's the same incident you refer to.

There were two Halifax Squadrons flying to Scotland for Operation Oiled on that date. 10 and 76. I can't see anything in 10 Sqdn ORB's that tie in with the loss (but the op was quite secret so it may not have been mentioned). I don't have 76 Sqdn ORB for that period to check.

The two Stirling Squadrons were 15 and 148.

Regards
    Linzee

Thanks

Default Stirling/Halifax shot down 28/1/42

Thanks Linzee

It looks as though it was a Halifax not a Stirling, probably 76 Squadron. The quest continues!

Cheers
    Brian