Thread: Crashed Lancaster Bomber RAF Syerston

Thanks

Default Crashed Lancaster Bomber RAF Syerston

Does anyone have any information about a Lancaster which crashed across the River Trent from RAF Syerston; it would appear to have overshot the runway, crossed the river and crashed on our boundary. Eyewitnesses in our village (Hoveringham) can recall the crash and it seems that all the crew were killed sadly. We think it was in January 1945.

Thanks

Hi Helen
    From Bomber Command Losses Vol 8,by W R Chorley, which deals with Training Units, I can find a likely candidate. Lancaster III,R5846,A5-H, of 5 Lancaster Finishing School, was on a night training flight and encountered falling visibility, low cloud and persistent drizzle when it returned to Syerston 12/Jan/45. It flew beyond the airfield and whilst banking flew into the ground 1/2 mile N of the Tree Hotel, Hoveringham. All on board were killed, they were:-
    P/O G R Dunlop, RNZAF, pilot
    Sgt P J V Browne, F/Engineer,
    F/Sgt P J Hill, RNZAF,navigator
    Sgt A J Evans, BEM, bomb aimer
    F/Sgt R L Staples,RNZAF, w/op
    Sgt R H Sedgley, Air gunner
    Sgt W F Cairns, Air gunner
    The 3 N Zealanders and Sgt Evans were buried in Botley Cemetery,Oxford and the others went to their home towns.
    There is no guarantee that this is the right a/c but it seems to fit the bill and the Tree Hotel might jog an elderly memory
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Helen,

Like Dick, I cannot confirm for certain if this is the aircraft concerned but the following appears in my trilogy 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Two: Fates 19423-1998)':

Fri 12/Sat 13 Jan 1945
    BOMBER COMMAND
    Night training exercise
    5 Lancaster Finishing School, RAF (Syerston Nottinghamshire - 5 Group)
    Lancaster III JB125 - on returning to base at 2150 encountered low cloud down to 500-600 feet with rain. While turning steeply three miles to the west, 150 feet below airfield level, flew into the ground ĺ mile north of the Elm Tree Hotel, Hoveringham. All seven crew died, the three RNZAF airmen being buried at Botley, just west of Oxford.
    Captain: NZ425241 Plt Off Guy Rerenui DUNLOP, RNZAF - Age 28. 451hrs (8 solo on Lancaster)
    Navigator: NZ425790 Flt Sgt Peter John HILL, RNZAF - Age 22. 273hrs.
    WOpAG: NZ4212868 Flt Sgt Richard Ludgvan STAPLES, RNZAF - Age 23. 215hrs.
    Hillís brother, Howard Perry Hill, died on 20 September 1940 while flying with 92 Sqn, RAF.

Errol

Thanks

Hi Dick,

In Bruce Robertson's 'Lancaster, the story of a Famous Bomber' he has R5846 (3LFS) as
    collided with R5674 (3LFS), Hockwold, Norfolk, 18 Dec 44.

Regards,
    Wayne

Thanks

Wayne
    You are right, I read the details from the entry above the actual a/c is JB125
    Regards and Apologies
    Dick

Thanks

Default Lancaster at Syerston

Thank you for all your help with this plane crash. The distance from The Elms is about right although technically speaking, north from the hotel would make the crash site in the field where I first found the alloy and the eyewitnesses said it was nearer the riverbank (ie: north east of the hotel)

I do wonder if there were two crashes on our land in that case, as a lady came to us 10 years ago and said a relative of hers had been killed in a crash here, but the crew were all Canadian apart from her relative. Either she was mistaken or there was another incident.

Again, many thanks for all the info.

Thanks

Default Lancaster Crash x 2

Hi if you all look at the other thread that Helen started you will find I have found a site about a memorial for this crew at Hoveringham... RIP both crews which were so close to home.
    Dee