Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Albert Mercer (navigator) based at Syerston WWII

Thanks

Helen,
    A crew that I'm researching were at Syreston at the same time, I intend getting the ORBs from the NA at Kew (you can't, as far as I know actually download them electronically, you request them and they send them in hard-copy). If there is anything in them about the crash you're interested in I'll let you know.
    regards
    Max
    Max Williams
    www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
    the story of Lancaster ME453

Thanks

Default Syerston

Max,

Thank you so much. We are really grateful for all the help we have received so far. The Lancasters listed as coming down at Hoveringham were LM308 (crashed 29/1/1945) and JB125 (crashed 12/1/1945) as far as we can ascertain. What we are trying to do is identify the 'plane that came down at the crash site we do know about. It may be there is a second site as yet unknown in our fields.

Helen

Thanks

We now know what happened to JB125 and have found a lot of (small bits) of wreckage - alloy, bullets, perspex, bits of RR Engines, and the debris ties in with the bomber performing a very steep port turn and crashing, as described on the accident card. The card says that the pilot only had 4 hours night flying experience and should not have been allowed to attempt a landing in such bad weather.

Regarding Albert Mercer's Lancaster LM308, the family have located his death certificate which says he died at Hoveringham. In addition, a local farmer wrote a history of Hoveringham in WW2 and describes two Lancasters crashing at Hoveringham, which would indicate that LM308 came down in Hoveringham rather than at Syerston.

I have put a letter in the two local papers asking people for any recollections of LM308, as the sisters of the navigator (Albert Mercer) would like to know where his plane crashed. They were not told anything at the time.

Thanks

Default Commemoration

I dont know if Helen is still looking at this site but my friend sent me some photos of a commemoration at Hoveringham which then led me to google it. I came up with the following site:
    http://www.hoveringham.org.uk/lancaster.html
    Helen if you are still browsing here please let me know and I will send you a copy of the photos that Ron sent me.
    Dee