Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 49 Squadron - ED785 Lost 17 June 1943

Thanks

Default 49 Squadron - ED785 Lost 17 June 1943

Just wondering if anyone has any information on this aircraft loss. Shot down by Uffz. Rudolf Frank.

Had a crew of eight.

Anybody have access to the debrief of Sgt Maurice Gordon Webb RCAF. He was the only survivor and became a POW at Stalag Kopernikus

Thanks

Dear Kopernikus
    You probably know about the 49 Squadron Association already, but if not try http://www.49squadron.co.uk/Main%20Menu.html
    Happy hunting
    James

Thanks

Thanks James, yes I have emailed the association. My area of interest is Sgt Burnside, the second pilot. Trying to confirm that this was his first mission.
    Last edited by a1rbus; 12th May 2010 at 09:29.

Thanks

a1rbus: It was usual practice for a "new" pilot to join an experienced crew to learn the ropes. That would make an 8 man crew instead of the normal 7 man crew.
    In this instance, however, as the pilot was a Squadron Leader, he may simply have added himself to a normal crew, leaving the usual pilot to be shown as 2nd pilot.... so I don't think this was his (or their) first mission.

Thanks

The 'crew' according to the 49 Sqn website were on their 7th mission. I just need to confirm if Sgt Burnside was the pilot of this crew or was on his first (look see) mission with a more experienced crew. The Squadron Leader was a second tourist so it could be as you suggest. He having decided to take an OP. I would have thought Sgt Burnside would have then stayed on the ground though.

The truth will come out!!

Thanks

I do believe the Lancaster came down in the Scheldt Estuary about 2 km SW of Vlissingen (Flushing); to be confirmed by Theo. Rudolf Frank claimed 01.46 hrs.

Henk.

Thanks

Some more info....
    S/Ldr STOREY recovered from the sea 21-6-1943 off Westkapelle.
    Sgt UNDERLIN recovered from the sea 18-6-1943 off Zoutelande.
    F/O BLYTHE washed ashore Flushing outer harbour 22-7-1943.

Henk.

Thanks

Entry from the NJWD:

Uffz. Rudolf Frank: 12 2./NJG3, det. 2./NJG1 Lancaster sea 2 km. S.W. Vlissingen: 7.500 m. 01.39 49 Sqn Lancaster ED785

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Default 49 Squadron - ED785 Lost 17 June 1943

Kopernikus

I have a copy of the excellent book by John Ward "Beware of the Dog at War - an Operational Diary of 49 Squadron" ISBN 0 9532252 0 8. Within this book, Sgt. Burnside is designated as the second pilot although whether this is from the 49 ORB, I cannot confirm. A forum member may have access to the 49 ORB and will be able to add extra information including whether this was Sgt. Burnside's first operation.

Of the flight in question, I would suspect the pilot and captain of the aircraft would have been S/L Storey. Group Captains may have occupied interested spectator positions but S/Leaders, I think, would captain the aircraft.

As with all bomber losses with two pilots or, as another example, two air gunners, it is very difficult to confirm whether a specific pilot was flying the aircraft or a specific gunner was M.U. or RG at the time of the loss.

Best wishes

Douglas

Thanks

Thanks Douglas, yes that is the dilemma. I am assuming it was his first mission. Hopefully somebody from the 49 Sqn Association will let me know in due course.