Thread: Sqn / Ldr D H Clarke

Thanks

Default Sqn / Ldr D H Clarke

Hello,

Does anyone know if Sqn / Ldr DH Clarke's logbook has been preserved anywhere? Specifically with his time at No.2 A.A.C.U.

Kind Regards

Tim

Thanks

Hi Tim
    If Clarke's log book was not retained by him or passed to his family then there is ,sadly, a high probability that it has been destroyed. Unclaimed log books were held by the Air Ministry but due to pressure of storage space it was decided to dispose of them in about 1950. The AM advertised in some newspapers for them to be claimed by holders or relatives and those that remained were mostly burned. A few that were considered significant were retained as an Archive and I believe these are now at the RAF Museum at Hendon and can be consulted there. Clarke's book could be among them, if he did not keep it himself,but the odds are apparently not good. The logbook was considered to need some security protection during the war, hence it was often taken back by the RAF when the "user" was no longer flying or went missing.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Default Sqn Ldr D H Clarke

Hendon hold logbooks for a Squadron Leader Dennis Harry Clarke from 1952 onwards.
    Hope this is your man!
    Regards
    Max

Thanks

Max / Dick,

Thanks for your help, unfortunately I do not believe his logbook has been retain by RAFM, I just throught that due to his many post war articles in RAF Flying Review etc that his logbook may have been retained within some museum or collection - the search continues!

Kind Regards

Tim

Thanks

Default D H Clarke 1919-2007.

I hold my father's logbooks and all his other wartime bumpf, including photos and medals. If I can help, please let me know. K J Clarke
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
    Max / Dick,

Thanks for your help, unfortunately I do not believe his logbook has been retain by RAFM, I just throught that due to his many post war articles in RAF Flying Review etc that his logbook may have been retained within some museum or collection - the search continues!

Kind Regards

Tim

Thanks

Dear Mr Clarke,

PM has been sent.

Kind regards,

Tim