Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halifax III LW139 AL-P

Eddie Fell Guest

Default Halifax III LW139 AL-P

This aircraft from 429 Sqn crashed during a training flight on 23/2/45. I have the details from Chorley but would anybody be able to assist with the full names of the three survivors

Sgt. A.E. Lowthwaite RAFVR (F/E)
    F/O. D.M. McMurchy RCAF (W.Op)
    F/Sgt. C.S.Hopf RCAF (R/G)

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Hi Eddy
    As they are all RCAF you might try a post on the Bombercrew Forum, http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=100548&subForumID=321311&p=2, it is nowhere near as busy as this one but it does focus heavily on RCAF matters.
    Regards
    Dick

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Dick

This is one of those I'm doing for a relation of one of the crew. He has already applied for the service records of the Canadians who lost their lives and hopefully they will name the survivors. I am trying to give him a head start in his efforts to trace relatives of the survivors

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Default Halifax LW139

Eddie,

My records show:

F/E Sgt Albert Edmond LEWTHWAITE RAF 1880688 Seriously Injured
    WOp F/O D M McMurchy RCAF J43083 Seriously injured (sorry I have no christian names)
    AG FS Gerald Soper HOPE RCAF R259756 Seriously injured.

Source: AHB records.

Hope this helps

Regards

Howard
    Last edited by howardnewbould; 16th January 2009 at 21:44.

Eddie Fell Guest

Many thanks Howard

That's excellent

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

I know this is an old post but my grandfather was one of the airmen that perished HH Hockley. I just came across this post while doing some research for a trip to the UK in March. Does anyone have any additional information since this was posted back in 2009?

Thanks,

Keven

Thanks

Hi Keven,

Just to let you know Eddie passed away a few years back. So unless anyone else has any information your question may go unanswered.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

I am very sorry to hear that. I have had a few others offer some assistance. Thanks for the update though.
    Regards,
    Keven

Thanks

Helo Kevin

White Rose Base under Leeming says:-

"Two more of 429's Halifax's were lost on the 23rd and 27th February, 1945, LW139, crashed at Londonderry, near Leeming, killing four during a three engined overshoot and RG347 had a tyre burst on take off and six were killed when the aircraft exploded."

Roberts Crash Log states that the engine failure occurred during take-off, crashing near Londonderry, Yorkshire. Have you requested a photocopy of both sides of the Flying Accident Card AM1180 and also the AM78 Aircraft Card, from the RAF Museum, Hendon?

Chorley lists 7 crew with the R/T call back to base at 1735 advising Port Outer engine had failed and requesting immediate landing instructions. Apparently, they made an approach, but began to climb away for a second circuit and the port inner cut and the aircraft banked steeply, still climbing to port and then crashing to the ground at 1739.

According to Bill Chorley F/L P. F. Robb RCAF seems to have probably died at the crash scene.

The six gravely injured were taken to the Station Sick Quarters at Leeming and F/S Hockley died at 2300. F/L MacNabb RCAF and F/O Casher RCAF died the next morning at RAF Hospital Northallerton, where they had been transferred with the other survivors.

I expect there will probably be an account in the Leeming Station ORBs and Appendices in the AIR 28 series? Sometimes these Station AIR 28 records have more detail than the Squadron ORBs in AIR 27? Might be worth checking the No. 4 Group records in AIR 25 too and Bomber Command ORBs in AIR 24?

Also No. 6 (RCAF) Group records are a must too.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 3rd January 2015 at 09:44.

Thanks

Thanks very much Mark, great information and great suggestions. I am in the process of getting the account from the Accident record contained within F/L Robb's Canadian service record as provided by another fellow researching this crash and F/L Robb. It is quite detailed. Pardon my ignorance as I am a total newbie to this process, but how do I access the Leeming station ORBs in the AIR 28, AIR 27, 25 and 24 No. 4 and 6 Group records. Any assistance would be appreciated. I will attempt to find a contact for the AM 11180 and AM 78 cards at the RAF Museum Hendon as well. With much appreciation.

Keven