Thread: Help, Looking for oic's of LV905 from 78 Squadron

Thanks

Default Help, Looking for oic's of LV905 from 78 Squadron

Hello, My name is Geoffrey Glen Peterson.
    This is my first post here on your great site. I am the nephiew of Navagator Sidney Peterson Halifax Bomber LV905 from 78 Squadron.

Flying Officer Sidney Glen Peterson
    Sidney Peterson. Age 21. of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

My uncle was killed along with his crew on May 25 1944, Below is some info taken from Vetran affairs Canada website.

" On the night of May 24 to 25, 1944, the Royal Air Force Bomber Command despatched 432 planes to attack the railway yards at Aachen. At 22.50 hours that night the Handley Page Halifax Mk. III bomber (series nr. LV905, "W" for Willie) lifted off from its base in Breighton Yorkshire, England, to participate in the attack on Aachen. The crew belonged to 78 Squadron (Preston's Own) No 4 Group Bomber Command. Hit by a German night fighter, the Halifax LV905 crashed into the clayey soil of the "Orange fields" near Hank, the Netherlands. The seven crew members did not survive the crash. Following the crash, the bodies of only two crew members were found, of which only British Sergeant George Herbert Butler could be identified. It is believed that the other five crew members remained in the wreckage of the bomber on the "Orange fields" near Hank."

27 September 2006
    Crew Halifax LV905 reunited at last.
    More than six decades after they were shot down over the Netherlands during the Second World War, the remains of the Halifax crew were buried with full military honours.
    In a ceremony attended by their relatives the remains were buried alongside the rest of the crew at Jonkerbos War Cemetery in the Netherlands.

It would be fantastic to find a photo of my Uncles Halifax however small it may be. If anyone out there was part of 78 Squadron from the time and may remember him or have a pic of LV905 we would love to hear from you!

Thanks

No photo I'm afraid but you might be interested to know that the Nachtjagd War Diaries has Halifax NV905 as being shot down by Ofw. Karl-Heinz Scherfling of 12./NJG1 based at St Trond in Belgium, 20 km NNE of Breda at an altitude of 3.000m at 01.30. It was Scherfling's 31 aerial victory.
    Regards
    Max
    Max Williams
    www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
    the story of Lancaster ME453

Thanks

Hi Max,
    Thanks for adding that info, we do have all the records from that night from both the Germans and RAF just no photo of any kind.

Geoff.

Thanks

Geoff

firstly welcome to the forum, secondly as you can see from my title I am interested in 78 Sqn, I don't think I have a photo of the aircraft but I will check. I will send you a PM sith my email address and we can talk off forum.

Best wishes

Daz

Thanks

Thanks Daz, PM sent!