Thread: Photo search

Thanks

Default Photo search

Gents,

Hoping someone could point me in the right direction. For the past two years I have been looking for a photograph of S/Ldr Waldo Harry Bently Hiles DSO DFC.

I have tried relatives, the I.W.M, RAF Hendon and Public Records Officer without success. I have also tried the local newspapers in the area Waldo was raised, lastly the mob at Innesworth ( pre-move ).

Basically I am stuffed, I would really appreciate some suggestions on what next I can do. !!

Regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hello Steve,

I have been confronted at the same problem with my research on G/C J R Jeudwine OBE DSO DFC, the best is to contact all those of his squadrons or those who flew with him, its crew, and also relative of them, it's a long way but which can be very successful !
    If you know the date of his investiture of its DSO and DFC at Buckingham, he could be on a picture with some others airmen, lot of picture were taken at the sortie of the Palace, there is a good collection on line at the Australian archives as in the IWM.
    After, it's an affair of luck ...
    Try too in the town or village where he was born, sometime I traced some photographs in the album of those who were friends or at school with your man.
    Good hunting !

Alain.

Thanks

Steve,

Have you tried his former school? I've had photographs of airmen (including my grandfather) from their schools in the past. Often they are of course taken while they were still at school but sometimes they have ones taken during the war of the men in uniform. Also try university if he attended one or former employer if he worked for a large company that is still on the go.

Good luck
    Linzee

Thanks

Default Hiles

Hi Steve,

Looks like a job for a taffy, don't know one do you!!!
    Hiles was educated at Llandovery College, Carmarthenshire. I would suggest writing to them as they may have school photos or know where some might be. Being an independent school I would imagine that they would have school photos or at least a list of old boys who might have one.

Regards,

Ann

Thanks

Steve,

Give this a try. http://www.oldcambrians.com/Alumni-Hiles,Jinks.html

Offspring?

Col.

Thanks

Ann, Linzee, Alain & Col,

Thanks each of you, tried them all, Col the link was for his son Jenkins, did not respond on the three occassions I have tried. I have contacted the college, the local press etc. In contact with one relative who is very helpful, but unable to provide a photo.

Kind regards and belated Happy New Year.!!!

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve,
    Any chance of contacting squadron associations or other relevant ex-service organizations? Someone there might be able to help.
    Bill.