Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Lists

Thanks

Default Air Lists

Where can Air Force Lists be read please
    Last edited by namrondooh; 15th January 2009 at 12:59.

Thanks

This old thread gives an idea

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2860&highlight=force+list

per it, according to Errol Martyn,

"Full or near full sets of the List are held at National Archives at Kew and at the RAF Museum at Hendon"

A few sample references are, and I stand for correction:

AIR 10/3814 The Air Ministry Confidential Air Force List: April-May 1939 1939
    AIR 10/3815 The Air Ministry Confidential Air Force List: June-Aug 1939 1939
    AIR 10/3816 The Air Ministry Confidential Air Force List: Oct. and Dec. 1939 1939
    AIR 10/3817 The Air Ministry Confidential Air Force List: Jan.-Apr. 1940 1940
    AIR 10/3818 The Air Ministry Confidential Air Force List: May-Aug. 1940 1940

etc etc

Search for 'Air force list'

on
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 15th January 2009 at 13:17.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Most recent Air Force Lists can be usually found in local/county library reference sections.

A near complete set is at The National Archives, Kew, in the microfilm reading room bookshelves. I think the IWM has also a near complete set open to public inspection.

Additional copies reside in many of the private libraries of a few of the members on this board.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

The Oct 1940 AFL was republished a few years ago and is still available (or was when I last looked on Amazon. The Oct 1945 AFL is available on a CD Rom via Malcolm Barras (a Forum member) and his RAFweb site.

Rgds

Jonny

Thanks

Hi Dennis

The Air Force List stopped giving "where served" information in mid 1938. This was given in a new publication The Confidential Air Force List".

The AFL is freely open to inspection in The National Archves microfilm reading room but Confidential List needs to be withdrawn from the Document reading room.

Just as I can give the postings for an officer prewar using the AFL the Confidential list can be used for the same job post war.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.

Thanks

Are the monthly published Air Force Lists the total accumulation of all officers serving and those leaving at the time of publication or for officers who joined and retired for that month only? I think I might be misunderstanding as hitherto I thought they were only annualy published. Could an expert please clarify? Thank you.

Norman

Thanks

Air Force List was initally published monthly, then 4 times a year, then twice a year, then once a year.

Air Force List contains the Gradation (seniority) in rank of each serving officer, including those classified as reserve.

Post war a Reserve List was published once a year that contained, name, date of birth, date first commissioned, date retired, retained rank and branch.

How about telling us what and when you are looking for and we can tell you if the List contains the information rather than giving detailed returns to very general questions.

Ross

Thanks

Default 748150 Douglas IVESON (86384)

Hello Ross,

I have previously asked for details of this officer on a recent (RAF pilots Iveson) post but as there was no response and nothing in the county reference library decided to "mug up" and head for Kew. The person I am trying to trace is Group Captain 748150 Douglas IVESON (86384) 1917-1994, wartime bomber pilot who later became Station Commander of RAF Waddington in 1958. I would like to know when and where he joined - period 1936-1940 and when and where he left 1960 -? Thank you

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 17th January 2009 at 17:13. Reason: adding punctuation

Thanks

Ok,

That makes things easier.

Look at the AFL every five years or so until they no longer appear. Then check the closest available Retired List.

He is still listed as serving Spring 67 List but not in Spring 1972 list.

In the 1975 Retired list the entry reads:

Iveson, D, DSO, DFC, Born 21/11/17. Commissioned 08/10/40. Group Captain 01/07/59. Retired General Duties Branch 01/12/67.

His promotions will be listed in the Air Force Lists (and London Gazette)
    Postings will need the Confidential Lists at Kew Reading Room

Regards
    Ross

Thanks

Thank you very much Ross
    Last edited by namrondooh; 17th January 2009 at 20:49.