Thread: looking for anything about my dad

Thanks

Default looking for anything about my dad

hi has any body heard of a ronald (ron) reed (reedy) believed to have joined the R.A.F. 1939-1945. was born september 1920 died 2003. he would never talk about his time in the war but the family would really like to know. he is to have started in lancaster bombers for part of the war then went to the far east and it is thought that he ended up in catalinas, we are not sure weather he was a tail end charlie or a radio man in the lancasters. first he was married to a hilda there were 2 children to this marriage and 7 to his 2 marriage to eileen. we believe he came from coundon near bishop auckland in the north of england. we would love to here from anybody who new our dad and what he got up to thank you in advance for anybody that knows anything.

Thanks

You should try to get his service record from the RAF.

The addresses and details are at this site:
    http://www.veterans-uk.com

Veterans UK website and it seems to be the latest up to date information for all services veterans.

http://www.veterans-uk.com/service_records/service_records.html

Specific to the RAF is:
    http://www.veterans-uk.com/service_records/raf.html

So that lists RAF Cranwell, For SERVICE RECORDS ,address details on the above link. I think that is clear cut. I would guess that since the previous office address is in books and webpages everywhere, of course they will forward on letters to Cranwell, but it appears clear that the new office is Cranwell as per Chris' original posting. The official RAF website point you there.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default my dad

thanks dennis will try them links.was hoping for a more personel touch from somebody who might have known him but at his age that was may be hoping for a bit to much, thanks anyway dennis will try them links.

Thanks

Reed: You may well get a "personal touch" but without the squadron and time periods, contact with other veterans will be difficult, given so few of them are watching these boards. Dennis' advice is the correct way to go. You need to get his service records so you can find out what Squadron records to search. The ORB's will link you with his crew. You will be able to then find what position he held with the crew. It is possible you may be able to contact crew members from there. Your best hope is that one of the crew members is still alive and has a unique name. That makes it easier.

Good luck.

Jim

Thanks

Default my dad

Quote Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
    Reed: You may well get a "personal touch" but without the squadron and time periods, contact with other veterans will be difficult, given so few of them are watching these boards. Dennis' advice is the correct way to go. You need to get his service records so you can find out what Squadron records to search. The ORB's will link you with his crew. You will be able to then find what position he held with the crew. It is possible you may be able to contact crew members from there. Your best hope is that one of the crew members is still alive and has a unique name. That makes it easier.

Good luck.

Jim
    thanks jim will see if we can find anything.