Thread: Aircraft crashes near Chippenham, Wiltshire.

Thanks

Default Aircraft crashes near Chippenham, Wiltshire.

I'm looking for crashes near to Chippenham, Wiltshire during WW2. Not a lot to go on I know but can anyone please help?

Regards
    Peter.
    Last edited by peter; 21st December 2007 at 23:27.

Thanks

Peter,

A helpful person was so kind to provide an answer on this forum in 2002. Here's a copy of his reply:

dg (Guest) (99 posts) Click to check IP address of the poster
    26-Jan-02, 09:08 PM (GMT)
    1. "RE: Crashed Aricraft in Chippenham. Wiltshire"

06-Apr-41 Spitfire I X4822 & X4826 (118s) collided over Chippenham and spun into ground (both pilots killed)

13-Sep-42 Proctor I (2SS) spun into ground (no casualty info)

10-Oct-42 Hudson VI FK494 (10MU) hit trees whilst low-flying (no casualty info)

19-Feb-44 Oxford I NM282 (15PAFU) dived into ground

There seems to have been a crash of a Hawker Hart of 9 SFTS as well (K5019) on 29-3-1940. Flew into a tree.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Peter,

Depends on what you mean by 'Chippenham'. There were a number of airfields in the vicinity, Colerne, Clyffe Pypard, Keevil, Lyneham all come to mind (there are others)and all have their own list of crashes. Suggest you obtain 'Wings over Wiltshire' by Rod Priddle from your library. Whilst it does not include a comprehensive summary it is as good a starting point as any - and was published in 2003. Obviously it does not include aurcraft transitting the area.

Brian

Thanks

Hi Peter
    I can find some from the Air Britain Autumn and Winter issues of their Aeromilitaria magazine where they are progressively listing Crash Sites in the UK, so it might be an idea for you to try and get a look at their back numbers if you know an Air Britain member. One was a Proctor, R7527 that hit a tree and dived into the ground at Langley Burrell on 13/09/42 and a Hudson FK494, that flew into the ground at Lanhill Farm,Yatton Keynall on 10/10/42 the lists does have others in Wilts but not close to Chippenham
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Default Blackburn Skua?

Peter:
    This is an apocryphal tale I'm afraid, and I don't know how you'd prove it or otherwise, but as a child in the late 1950s I often used to play in the "Goodes Hill" area around Gastard, which was a couple of miles from Corsham and therefore 7 or so from Chippenham. There is a peculiar "dip" in the middle of the field which us kids were told was made by a Skua crashing there during the war. It made a great "ski jump" in the snow during the hard winter of 1963!
    Regards
    Max

Thanks

Default Crashes near Chippenham

Proctors and Rapides use to fly from No 2 Radio School, Yatesbury.

Thanks

Many thanks for the input Guys, you have all been a great help.

Regards
    Peter.

Thanks

Default Aircraft Crashes Near Chippenham

I am working on a list of aircraft crashes asociated with RAF Yatesbury and Townsend. These are listed in a book 'RAF Yatesbury, The History by Phil Tomaselli See our web site for details www.rafyatesbury.webs.com
    Bill H