Thread: Citations - Help Please

Thanks

Default Citations - Help Please

Am trying to trace a citation for a relative of mine who was with coastal command & died 13th august 1941 flying beauforts off coast norway . I think he earnt it for attacking ( and sinking ? ) a U boat my father siad before he died

Henry Gordon Norman Morison DFM

Sergeant Pilot 966010

I'm new to this stuff so so any help from you guys appreciated

Andy

Thanks

Hi Andy,

the London Gazette published his name in the 24th July 1942 stating:
    Sgt Henry Gordon Norman Morison 966010 (deceased), No 42 Squadron, awarded with effect from 9th August 1941.

Now i don't have own a copy of Tavender's DFM register, but i know a few on this board do, so i'm sure you'll have a copy of his citation by the end of the day!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Andy, you may have already seen this, but if not:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/50/a5875950.shtml

I presume the "Norman Morrison" is the same as your relative considering he died on the same day with 42 Squadron.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Default Guys this is simply amazing i am so indebted to you

Only put this on this site this mrning by sheer chance i am so pleased and just found out a staggering ammount of information

Thanks

This is the citation as it appeared in Flight magazine. The details in Tavender are essentially the same.

Sgt H, G N. MORISON, No. 42 Sqn. (deceased) Awarded with effect from August 9th, 1941
    This airman has proved to be an outstanding operational pilot. He has executed successful bombing attacks against enemy shipping, pressing home his attacks with great determination on all occasions. Following ine of these attacks he was intercepted by two Me. 109s, but Sgt. Morison manoeuvred his aircraft so skilfully that his gunners were enabled to shoot down one of the attackers and drive the other away. Further operations include a minelaying mission in difficult weather conditions which entailed arduous flying to reach the exact area In another sortie Sgt, Morison attacked an enemy submariine, straddling it with four bombs. This flight was closely followed by a bombing attack on an airfield in Norway, carried out from a low level, Throughout, he has displayed great determination.

Thanks

Default Citations Many thanks

Amrit many thanks i have now found out something i have been trying to find for many years
    I am indebted to you and the others who have helped me thanks always
    Andy