Thread: Handley Page Harrow Crash Landing

Thanks

Default Handley Page Harrow Crash Landing

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help with a transport aircraft crash.

On 17th Sept 1944 a Handley Page Harrow took off from RAF Sumburgh,Shetland Isles, for a routine transport flight to RAF Wick,Highlands. I am told that it crash landed on arrival but I can`t seem to find any reference to this, can anyone help please?

Regards
    Dave.

Thanks

No mention of this incident in Cummings' Though Without Anger

A

Thanks

Default Harrow at Wick

Hi Amrit,

Thanks for trying, a bit of a mystery this one, I was told after my posting that it was delivering newspapers and cargo to Wick, and an airman involved in another prang had hitched a lift. Not sure if the Harrow was a write-off only that it crash landed so perhaps it was repaired? Still searching.......

Regards.
    Dave.

Thanks

Hallo Dave,

There was a very good article on the Harrow in the autumn 2006 issue of AEROMILITARIA from Air-Britain. It includes detailed individual aircraft histories for each Harrow. I could find no hint of such an incident, so at most it was a minor accident. Around this time several Harrows were SOC after damage to their undercarriages.

On that date probably less than 20 Harrows were in service, most with 271 Squadron RAF (one flight). If it was 271 Squadron then the accident might have involved a Dakota ? At least one flight was equipped with Dakotas by this time. Anything in the ORB for RAF Wick or 271 Squadron ?

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Martin,
    I've sent you a PM.
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Harrow

Nothing to answer your question but I am interested in Harrows around my part of the world.

A Shetland historian told me that a Harrow (named 'Doncaster') from 271 Sqn which was flying from the FAA station at Twatt, Orkney, with "26 servicemen" on leave in "autumn 1944" crashed on a hilltop in the Highlands and was destroyed. 'Airman' Fred Burton was killed - not clear if there were other casualties. This is clearly a mix up with the losses of (a) K6947 of 271 Sqn on 23 November 1943, near Auchenblae, in which C/JX 349797 Able Seaman A F R Rooks (South London Crem., Mitcham) was killed and either 18 or 23 others survived and (b) K6946 of 782 Sqn, Donibristle, on 15 February 1943, in which FX.86180 LAF(A) F J Burton (commemorated on the Lee-on-Solent Memorial) was killed along with 15 other pax and 2 RAF crew, when the a/c crashed in the Moray Firth off Wick, apparently on the Wick to Lossiemouth leg of a flight from Hatston to Donibristle. 26 or even 23 POB a Harrow must have been quite a squeeze, especially with all the fresh eggs etc carried on flights outwards from the islands.

I also have a note of a 271 Sqn Harrow being 'bounced' in December 1944 by Ju88s whilst flying Peterhead to Skeabrae with the equipment and personnel of an RAF fighter sqn. Does anyone know any more about this?

Keith

Thanks

Default Harrow Crash Landing

Hi Martin & Keith,

Apologies for late reply, firstly with comments from Martin I tend to agree that this was just a minor prang without any serious injuries or loss of life, on another note though, if the aircraft did not reach it`s intended destination of Wick, then I wonder could it be that which crashed in the hills of the Highlands as mentioned by Keith for which we have no definate date? Though oddly a search of CWGC revealed only one airman, a Sergeant by the name of Frank Burton, but he is buried in France so obviously not on the Harrow. I reckon the only way would be as Martin suggested to read the station ORB.

Thanks for trying fellas.

Regards.
    Dave.