Thread: Wellington Dunkerque/ Bray?

Thanks

Default Wellington Dunkerque/ Bray?

Propbably a well known photo but not to me. Is this one of the Wellingtons lost at Bray Dunes/ Dunkerque in 1940, any one know the unit and crew outcome?
    http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn70/philio1981/MYDESKTOP.jpg
    Cheers Pete

Thanks

hello,

This is very difficult to tell from this picture, as there's no really useful background, especially buildings. It could be near Calais as well, I know that a twin engine plane was uncovered by the tides in the 60es near Calais, at Les Hemmes, but the clippings from that time are not clear, pictures were badly taken. Wellington III BJ881 of No. 150 Squadron was a strong contender, but does it correspond to your desktop image ?
    Joss

Thanks

I don't know the date of the photo. I think it must be soon after the crash although the skin has gone. I don't think it would have survived 20 years in shallow water and stayed intact

Thanks

hello,

I fully agree that your picture was taken in wartime. I didn't mean anything else. I just wanted to say that a bomber, which was probably a Wellington, or what remained of it, was found near Calais in the late 60es. Actually several planes (Spitfires, at least a Bf-109E) were uncovered by the tides around Calais in the 80es. This also occured at Dunkirk, at least a Hurricane in 1988 or 1989. Usually the wrecks were recovered by the Germans, but not all of them.
    About two weeks ago, it was a french tank (H35) that emerged from the sands at Ste CÚcile (between Le Touquet and Boulogne-sur-Mer). It was there since 1940, but completely buried in the sands...

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Joss, just a few of the secrets that are under the sands. P

Thanks

Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've been contacted by the son of Sqn/Ldr Cohen, who was the skipper of BJ881 mentioned above. Did anyone manage to ascertain if the photo linked to by Pete in the OP was indeed BJ881?

Thanks all and best wishes,

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945