Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stirling BK760, 7 Squadron, 11 April 1943

Thanks

Default Stirling BK760, 7 Squadron, 11 April 1943

HI
    Following on from the quick and very helful reply to my last question on Lancaster PB737 I thought I may as well try my luck on this one, I hope I'm not pushing it.

Looking for any info on Stirling BK760 of 7 Squadron lost on the crews second mission which was to Frankfurt, they were shot down by Walter Ehle.

Any info greatly appeciated, I only really know the basics of when up and when down.

Thanks

Alistair

Thanks

Hi Alistair,

Copyright infringement cut and paste removed - Ross.

Michel

Thanks

Michel,

Re 'lostbombers' - please see http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=704

Errol

Thanks

Hi Both,
    To be honest that was the source of my limited info so far, but having read the message at the start of the board I avoided posting it - but beyond that info their I am fairly stumped.

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks

Default Stirling BK-760

Hello ,

Here some info on BK-760

10/04/1943
    Tongerlo ( Belgium )
    Stirling III
    Hptm Ehle Walter/Fw Lüdecke II./NJG 1
    03H45 Frankfurt
    BK-760
    7Sqn - MG-X
    Oakington
    S/L Chesterman Humphrey.W.A. AFC (KIA) pilot 26198
    Sgt D Ferguson (EVD)
    Sgt SJ Moore (EVD)
    Sgt Ernest Tolson (KIA) observer 1378392
    Sgt Leslie Ellis (KIA) wop 1313959
    Sgt Bernard S Bugg (KIA ) gunner 1396272
    Sgt Walter Moore ( KIA ) observer 1235122
    Initialy buried by the Germans at the airfield of St-Trond ( Belgium , homebase off Hptm Ehle ) , in 1948 reburied at the CWWG cemetery at Heverlee Belgium

Regards

Thanks

Hi Alain,
    Thanks for the info, out of interest with Sgts Moore & Ferguson listed as Evaders, does that mean they werent captured at any point (either getting back home, or being hidden until liberated) or does it just mean they werent captured in the immediate aftermath of the shooting down?

Thanks again

Alistair

Thanks

Alistair,
    They evaded capture and got back to UK, reports are available at National Archives under WO208/3313, 1253(Moore) 1254(Ferguson)

Thanks

Excerpt from Bowyer's "The Stirling Story".
    ".............Six Stirlings failed to return.
    Included was BK760-X of 7 Squadron, flown by S/Ldr Chesterman. Arriving fifteen minutes early at the target, his aircraft was hit three times by AA fire before it attacked from 17,000 feet. The aircraft was hit again again heading homewards, then the rear gunner reported searchlights following it. When very low over the village of Bree in the Maescyck area a searchlight illuminated the bomber and light machine gun fire riddled the central and forward parts of the fuselage. Then a fighter raced in to finish it off and set fire to at least four of the wing tanks. A second strike probably killed two gunners.
    BK760 then briefly climbed before plunging into a canal. Sgt. Ferguson, the flight engineer, and Sgt. Moore, the navigator, escaped and evaded capture."
    Hope this is of use,
    Regards,
    Bill.

Thanks

Hi,
    Alan - Thanks for that, the NA isnt too handy for me, but I shoul dget down at some point - lots to check - as a favour someone is doing a few checks on ORBs for me, so hopefully can get these too (although dont want to push it) very interesting to hear they got back home - in time their reports will certainly grow the story.

Bill - I guess I better go out and get that book their is a lot more to the story than the simple "shot down by ..." that I had until now.

At work at Lunch when searching I found reference to a memorial at the crash site - no idea what scale its on, I imagine small but good they are remembered.

Thanks to all

Alistair

Thanks

Default Bk-760

Hi ,

The monument can be found in the Keyartstraat ( Keyartstreet ) near the canal Bocholt-Herentals in the municipality of Tongerlo part of the town Bree.
    As soon as i can get a picture off it , i will send it to you.
    Alain