Thread: female voices on Corona Winter 43/44

Thanks

Default female voices on Corona Winter 43/44

Dear all,

I have a little question about the following: when exactly did the British introduce female voices into Corona (German-speaking special operators broadcasting false or contradictory instructions to the German night fighters from a transmitting station in England), this must have been sometime in the winter of 1943/44 during the Battle of Berlin, but I need to know the exact date when this was first introduced!

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Hi Theo,
    The following comes from Wikipedia, how trustworthy its accuracy is, I wouldn't know:

Operation 'Corona' was a RAF initiative to confuse German nightfighters during Allied bomber raids on German cities during WWII. Native German speakers impersonated German Air Defence officers. They initiated communications via radio with German nightfighter pilots and countermandered previously given orders, thus reducing the efficiency of German air defence.

The operation was first launched during the attack on the German industrial center of Kassel on the night of 22 October to 23 October 1943 in which 90% of the city was burned, leaving 10,000 dead and 150,000 homeless.

Operation 'Corona' was made possible by the Jewish diaspora when many people, mostly Jews, fled Nazi-Germany to England. These people were very valuable to RAF Bomber Command, since between them they natively spoke any German accent and hence were capable of countermanding the orders given from the senior officers in the Air Defence headquarters, and so could redirect the nightfighters to other targets or give them orders to land immediately at an airbase.

Regards
    Max

Thanks

Theo,

Found the date of 22 October 1943, but unclear if this is the date when female voice were first used. There were four radio transmitters: 3 at Rugby, 1 x Leafield.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Hi Leendert and Max,

You're right -Corona was first introduced during the Kassel raid of 22/23 October 43, but the female voices were introduced later on, I suspect sometime in December 43 or January 44.

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Default Female voices

Sorry Theo.....I obviously should have read your question more carefully!!!!
    Max

Thanks

Hi Theo
    Do you have a date for the first German use of female voices? I believe they did this as a response to allied interference and the Allies responded with their own female German speakers.The two dates must be quite close to each other given the measure/countermeasure that went on the whole war.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi chaps,

Just received info that confirms that female operators were used by Corona for the first time on 25/26 November 1943.

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Theo,

From "WAR IN THE ETHER", a typescript issued by Signals Branch, Bomber Command in October 1945. Not an answer to your query regarding first use of female voices but hopefully of interest:

"CORONA came into use on the night of 22/23 Oct 43, and immediately drew blood. The target on this occasion was Kassel, and before the end of the evening there was chaos in the enemy night defence organization. A furious German ground controller was warning his aircraft to “beware of another voice” and “not to be led astray by the enemy”, culminating in an instruction which must at least have succeeded in raising a laugh from his harrassed pilots: “In the name of General Schnmidt, I order all aircraft to Kassel”. The Gen. Schmidt on whose authority he spoke was the Commander of the German Air Force on the Western Front.

The enemy was seriously disturbed by the impact of CORONA, which went from strength to strength, especially when the “Y” service produced a ghost voice who not only spoke idiomatic German but could also mimic perfectly the voices of his opposite numbers. It was this ghost who, on one occasion after a particularly violent outburst by the German controller, remarked into his microphone – “ The Englishman is now swearing”. The German’s immediate and somewhat fatuous rejoinder was “ It is not the Englishman who is swearing, it is me”.

On another night, the enemy attempted to beat the ghost by putting, quite suddenly and in the middle of the proceedings, a woman on the microphone. The “Y” people had expected this, and had a German-speaking WAAF “ghost voice” sitting ready against just such a contingency.

The remarks which followed from the German side are quite unprintable.”

Thanks

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the interesting additional info re. Corona. In my forthcoming book The Nachtjagd War Diaries, I have described the effects of Corona on the German Nachtjagd defenses in some detail, and am currently doing further in-depth study about this issue. Only yesterday I had a very inteesting discussion with a former German night fighter pilot who told me about the introduction of a female voice in Corona, most interesting indeed!

Cheers, Theo

brianbines Guest

Theo search the web under ''RAF Kingsdown Corona'' there are some sites which may help,

Regards

Brian Bines