Thread: 1944 RAF Accident loss card

Thanks

Default 1944 RAF Accident loss card

On a accident loss card for a 1 Group Lancaster LM384 of 625 Sqn, lost on 19 Feb 1944, target Leipzig, are the following entries:

ROUTE:
    Sea 12 Sq 60 9JB.
    103 Sq JB645

BOMB LOAD:
    1 X 4000 H-C
    6 X 90 X 4
    4 X 12 X 30
    5 X 150 X 4
    2 X 60 X 4
    1 X 8 X 30

Please could someone decipher them for me, thank you
    Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 21st January 2009 at 18:19. Reason: adding target

Thanks

hello,

It refers, for the route, to two other loss cards, for the said Lancaster. At the time, the compiler of these cards only wrote the route flown on the first loss card, then on the following ones, just wrote (see such and such). I've been caught like that in the past, so now, when I'm in the Departement of Research in Hendon, I pay attention to this detail...

Then you have the number of bomb, by the weight in pounds, first line means one 4000 Lb High Capacity

The others are incendiary bombs, 4Lb and 30 Lb but I can't explain this array. They may have been grouped together in bundles, or probably they are stated as they were in the bomb bay.

Hope this helps

Joss

Thanks

Joss, I'm not quite sure what you meant by "for the said Lancaster". Are you saying these are the s/ns of two other a/c lost on the same raid, only the first of which has the route noted? If it is, what kind of s/n is 60 9JB?
    David

Thanks

hello,

Yes, that's it. Lancaster JB645 of No. 103 Squadron, and maybe JB609 of No. 12 Squadron. I'm at work now so can't check either in Chorley or Lancaster books.

This happened often when there were multiple losses in one raid.

Joss

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Norman

I can confirm the info provided by Joss - JB609 PH-F from 12 Sqn was also lost that night.

As for the incendiary load

No. of containers x number of devices per container times lb weight per device

Translates to (using one of your examples)

6 SBC's (small bomb containers) each holding 90 bombs each weighing 4lb each

Cheers

Eddie