Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halifax NP743 - finding a "failed to return"

Thanks

Default Halifax NP743 - finding a "failed to return"

This lost 408 Sqn a/c's crew details (29 Jan 1945) were covered in an earlier thread but I don't have a crash location, so I have a question about that and finding crash sites in general when a listing just says "FTR".

Is there any way of finding a crash site that isn't mentioned in the standard sources,such as Chorley or Allison & Hawyard, etc? Obviously a web search is the first thing to try but how would one go about tracing a plane's route and determining, if enough evidence exists, where it went down? What record series would give clues? I'm assuming the Squadron ORB would be one but what else should I look at?

Forgive me if this particular example's location is listed in Chorley (I can't get to it right now) but I have several other a/c marked just as FTRs.
    David

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dfuller52 View Post
    This lost 408 Sqn a/c's crew details (29 Jan 1945) were covered in an earlier thread but I don't have a crash location, so I have a question about that and finding crash sites in general when a listing just says "FTR".

Is there any way of finding a crash site that isn't mentioned in the standard sources,such as Chorley or Allison & Hawyard, etc? Obviously a web search is the first thing to try but how would one go about tracing a plane's route and determining, if enough evidence exists, where it went down? What record series would give clues? I'm assuming the Squadron ORB would be one but what else should I look at?

Forgive me if this particular example's location is listed in Chorley (I can't get to it right now) but I have several other a/c marked just as FTRs.
    David,

Pulling up the service files of any Canadians onboard is going to give you the location as best determined by the MRES or MREU.

I have located what would be the final resting places and or crash places of RCAF crew simply by pulling up the service files and reading these reports.

Post war these units would visit city halls in formerly occupied countries and obtain data from the night in question. Witnesses would be found and interviewed and artifacts collected.

In the category of "far grimmer" things these units had to do was unearthing collective graves and attempting to put a name to remains. My hat is off to all of them for their efforts.

And it is something still being done today.

Thanks

David,

If you have the place of burial for the airmen then you can try and work back from there - at least in most (not all) cases it gives a rough indication of where to start. Obviously if any crew survived the the POW reports and/or Escape Evasion reports could contain the info you seek.

As suggested above, records of any Canadian airmen could contain documents from the MRES / MREU this goes for Australian airmen. Some Australian records can be found digitised online and if your man hasn't been digitised yet you can request it for a small charge.

Anyone who wants to learn more about the incredible work done by the MRES men should read Missing Believed Killed by Stuart Hadaway.

Another place to try are the Luftwaffe Claim lists for the general area you believe the loss to have been in.

Regards
    Linzee

Thanks

Default Np-743

The service contains very little info except the Hali crashed near Gueltingen, no time, no reason.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linzee View Post
    Anyone who wants to learn more about the incredible work done by the MRES men should read Missing Believed Killed by Stuart Hadaway. Another place to try are the Luftwaffe Claim lists for the general area you believe the loss to have been in.
    Yes, thanks Linzee, I had noted that book in other threads here and would very much like to read it. And thanks for the Luftwaffe claims list suggestion.

And thanks for the detail Richard, what service or file are you referring to?

Thanks to alieneyes too, your suggestions are very much appreciated as I ascend this learning curve.
    David

Thanks

Default Np-743

The info I referred to are in the service files of the KIA's onboard the aircraft held in Ottawa. Some have a wealth of info, others very little on what happened, where and why.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard.K View Post
    The service contains very little info except the Hali crashed near Gueltingen, no time, no reason.
    There is a Gültlingen just 3 km NNE of postalcode 72218 Wildberg (Baden-Würtemberg).

Thanks

Thanks Henk, I too just plotted it on Google maps and it makes sense, it's just southwest of the target, Stuttgart. Is it possible that there is information there in that village? How would one find out?
    David

Thanks

Best place I know to find out German info is the guys over at:

http://www.luftwaffe-bullet-board.com/

You can post in English, but you have to register.

Thanks

Hi together,

I know the crash site very well. It is at Gueltlingen.
    Possibly Guenther Bahr claimed this Halifax.

regards
    Fozzy