Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster ME631, 207 Sqn 26-7 April, 1944

Thanks

Default Lancaster ME631, 207 Sqn 26-7 April, 1944

Evening folks,

Hopefully, someone can answer this question for me.

This Lancaster was shot down over the Black Forest while on ops to Schweinfurt.

From all available information the entire crew got out yet F/Sgt Raymond Watts was killed during arrest. All other crew survived.

Some of the families of the crew have made contact with the German pilot who shot down the aircraft. However, no one has been able to locate the skipper, Squadron Leader A.N. Jones, RAF and/or his family.

Although Jones was serving in the RAF a letter from the RCAF navigator to the RAAF in 1972 indicates that Jones was a New Zealander serving in the RAF.

Allegedly, Jones was so badly wounded that he never was placed in a lager but spent his entire time as a POW in a German hospital.

Does anybody have anything on this man?

Many thanks in advance.

Dave

Thanks

Dave,

I have a few scraps on Jones:

37503 Wg Cdr Albert Norman Jones, AFC
    Born Winton, New Zealand, 13 May 1911
    attended Winton, Fernhills and Forbury schools
    Own way to UK
    'A' licence with Kent Flying Club 27 Jul 35
    Accepted for RAF short service commission
    No.? E&RFTS 25 Nov 35
    RAF Depot & commissioned 20 Jan 36
    10 FTS 1 Feb 36
    65 Sqn 10 Aug 36 (still there c.Feb 39)
    then?
    to NZ on loan to RNZAF
    arrived 13 May 42
    CO 16 Sqn (P-40s) Jun 42-May 43
    back to UK
    then?
    207 Sqn 26 Mar 44 (as 'B' Flt Cmdr)
    Shot down/PoW 26/27 Apr 44
    then?
    AFC awarded post-war
    retired 22 Jul 58
    The Times of 30 Mar 59 reports that he was en route to visit NZ on horseback on a journey expected to take about two years

The NZ publication 'The Weekly News' has a small head and shoulders type photo of him in its illustrated section in the issue for 9 Aug 44

Errol

Thanks

Default S/L Jones

Many thanks, Errol.

Any idea how/where to access the picture of him from the 1944 edition of the Weekly News?

Many thanks again.

Dave

Thanks

Dave,

The RNZAF Museum can supply a print/scan for a small fee. Their photographic department email is:

MATTHEW.O'SULLIVAN@nzdf.mil.nz

Errol

PS: Please keep in touch should you discover anything further about Jones.

Thanks

Hi Dave,

Fascinated by your statement, '...yet F/Sgt Raymond Watts was killed during arrest.'

Could you possibly give me your source for that statement ?

Regards,
    Col.

Thanks

Hi Col,

The service file of the other Australian aboard has statements from most of the crew about Sgt Watts demise.

It's my belief based on the evidence in the file that Watts was murdered by the Germans upon landing.

Dave

Thanks

Hi Dave,

I have not seen the contents of Watts', A705, A9301 nor his AWM65 files, all being undigitised. I know that Watts' A705 file(NAA: A705 166/43/632) contains the circumstantial report of this loss, as it mentioned in the minutes of Griffin's A705 (p.2 of 50).

I have read the rather brief statements made by, Griffin (p.5 of 50), Exley(p.6 of 50) and Inganni(p.7 of 50), in Griffin's A705, and cannot deduce from their remarks, any suggestion of Watts' murder.

It would be interesting to see if anyone can substantiate your belief that Watts was murdered, which in effect, would constitute a war crime.

Regards,
    Col.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post
    Hi Dave,

I have not seen the contents of Watts', A705, A9301 nor his AWM65 files, all being undigitised. I know that Watts' A705 file(NAA: A705 166/43/632) contains the circumstantial report of this loss, as it mentioned in the minutes of Griffin's A705 (p.2 of 50).

I have read the rather brief statements made by, Griffin (p.5 of 50), Exley(p.6 of 50) and Inganni(p.7 of 50), in Griffin's A705, and cannot deduce from their remarks, any suggestion of Watts' murder.

It would be interesting to see if anyone can substantiate your belief that Watts was murdered, which in effect, would constitute a war crime.

Regards,
    Col.
    Hi again Col,

Yes, it would constitute a war crime. Unequivocally so.

Or was it German policy to carry coffins with RAAF blouses on them in transport vehicles?

Clearly, something happened to F/Sgt Watts between his departure from the aircraft and his demise.

Can anybody tell me what Chorley says about the crash of ME631?

Dave

Thanks

I'ver an unconfirmed note that his body was found on the "Schwarzmiss" (name of a hill) not far from the wreckage. It also could have been that he left the aircraft from a too low altitude. Nothing known about war crime.

Henk.

Thanks

I've an unconfirmed note that his body was found on the "Schwarzmiss" (name of a hill) not far from the wreckage. It also could have been that he left the aircraft from a too low altitude. Nothing known about war crime.

Henk.