Thread: One Complete Tour In One Lancaster

Thanks

Default One Complete Tour In One Lancaster

During the summer of 1943 the odds on surviving a complete tour of operations was very low.
    However my late father Wally Smith flew the whole of his first tour as a Flight Engineer in the same Lancaster ED995 PH-X from Wickenby with 12 squadron.
    On its very next operation after my dad had completed his tour ED995 was lost on a raid on Hanover. Six of the crew were KIA and the seventh P J Bemrose became a POW.
    My father went on to do a second tour with 463 squadron at Waddington.
    In total he completed 51 operations.

Andy Smith.
    www.raf-bombercommand.co.uk

Thanks

Hello & welcome Andy!

I don't know what the statistics are but I would imagine that it's pretty unusual for an airman to complete a tour of ops on the same aircraft as your father did.

I took a look at your website. You've done a great job documenting your father's time in the RAF and it's a wonderful tribute to him.

Surviving six months at an OTU between his two tours was no mean feat either, and being an instructor at an OTU was no less dangerous than flying ops since they suffered their fair share of losses too.

Congratulations again and I hope your website will bring forward more information for you to add to what you've found already.

Regards
    Linzee