Thread: Kew Work for TV Production

Thanks

Default Kew Work for TV Production

This follows from my earlier query about Operational Record Books at Kew, which in turn arose from a TV production (or rather, their researcher) contacting me. The programe, "Ancestors in the Attic", is a geneological series.

My usual experience with these TV researchers is that you have one chance in three of hearing back from them, but if you do there may be some small payment for helping them (I emphasize "small" - this is Canada !!!). I am encouraged by a message I received from the research firm since I started composing this message, viz

"We would very much like to get copies of all the ORB's you've identified and feel we should move as quickly as possible on the ones that are held at Kew. As you point out, we may be able to get help on Cooke's from Greg Harrison and Barnicke's from another individual. Is there anyone you could direct us to in London who might be willing to go into Kew over the Christmas break and obtain copies of the other two ORB's (possibly three if we include Barnicke's) for us and get them on their way to us in Toronto as soon as possible ? "

The two outstanding ORBs are those of No.603 and 521 Squadrons.

I have sent them an interim message explaining Kew closure dates this month and next. Also, I have been advised (and shall so advisie them) that hopes of getting complete copies of ORBs within their time frame are unrealistic, but they may still wish to pose queries about contents of said ORBs such as reporting dates of crews, sorties flown before final mission, etc.

Perhaps someone can contact them directly, introducing themselves, mentioning that I made this "on-board" request, and let any volunteer and said researchers hash things out directly. The Canadian contacts are:

Chris Robinson - robinson@primitive.net

Dugald Maudsley (a.k.a Infield Fly Producductions) - infieldfly@sympatico.ca

Would anyone so volunteering inform me when they make contact, either by a cc copy of their message to them or just a short note that you have sent a message.

Hugh Halliday (hughhall AT allstream DOT net

Thanks

Hugh,

Might I suggest that if they are unable to obtain the 603 Sqdn ORB within the time period that they then refer to the two volume series of Ross, Blanche & Simpson's "The Greatest Squadron of them All" (Grub Street 2003).

I haven't sent this message to the Canadian contacts.

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

Hugh,

Probably the best man to talk to about 521 Sqn is Peter Rackliff as it was a met reconnaissance unit. I have drawn his attention to your email, but don't know how quickly he will respond.

Brian