Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Lancs collide over Vielsalm, Belgium

Thanks

Default Two Lancs collide over Vielsalm, Belgium

I have some references to the loss of these two a/c from the Lancaster site and found mention of two Lancaster memorials in the area. One is for two other a/c and the other I can't read from the photo of the plaque. I have contacted the owner of the site but does anyone else have information on this crash or know the memorial?

#419(B) Squadron KB787 VR-M and #433 Sqn PA219 (code?)

On 2/3 Feb.45 was KB787 attacked by Ju88, no claim, no damage, Collided with Lancaster PA219 (this is the one I'm interested in) from #433 (B)Sqn over Ardennes returning from a 238 a/c raid on Bonn.

I have the crews of both, including my subject, F/L Neil Duncan Mara, DFC.
    David

Thanks

Hi David,

Just a pointer to another set of files at Kew that concern KB787.
    (AIR14/3470 File 5)

K File Index by the late Derek Sadler.

http://www.rafcommands.com/AIR14_3470.html

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks very much Ross. I think I'm at that point now where I need to start writing to Kew and Ottawa and the other archives, so I'm off to buy some stamps.
    David

Thanks

David,
    I've got the 'K' File for KB787, i'll look it out for you and send via email
    AlanW.

Thanks

David,
    PA 219 was coded BM-M according to Chorley but Mason has it as BM-W. From what I can gather the aircraft had only been on the squadron for a month before it was lost.
    Bill.

Thanks

Default K file report

Thanks Alan for the scan of the report, what a great description from the survivor, W/Op Christian Sutter, RCAF: the plane's entire front end was ripped off in the collision up to where the navigator's table used to be. He bailed out through the front of the plane and broke his tailbone on landing. He was picked up by the Americans.

And thanks for the additional details all.

Any suggestions on how to sort out the conflicting codes?
    David

Thanks

I have just heard from the owner of the site about the two memorials and they are not for the two a/c KB787 and PA219.

For those interested, the Lancasters mentioned are:

ME596 "QR-H" and HK564 "AA-P" lost 12/13 Aug 1944
    http://users.skynet.be/rmypegww9/BombGroupMuseumLuxembourg/raflancastermemorialweiswampach.html

and another a/c lost on 23 Apr 1944 no s/n but crew is listed.
    http://users.skynet.be/rmypegww9/BombGroupMuseumLuxembourg/raflancastercommemorationplatefagnes.html
    David

Thanks

Default Mid air collision

Hello to all

The two aircraft (KB-787 & PA-219 )crashed at Courtil 8KM S of Vielsalm parts of the two A/C where scattered on a wide area

Regards
    Phil

Thanks

Thanks very much Phil for that and your PM with further details, which include (for the record) mention of the swampy area of the crash site, the fact that the crew were buried nearby initially because of the ongoing Battle of the Bulge, and the description of the bomb damage from the crash, which jives with the survivor's account of this episode.

I have e-mailed you off line.
    David

Thanks

Default New memorial to HK564 in New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by dfuller52 View Post
    I have just heard from the owner of the site about the two memorials and they are not for the two a/c KB787 and PA219.

For those interested, the Lancasters mentioned are:

ME596 "QR-H" and HK564 "AA-P" lost 12/13 Aug 1944
    http://users.skynet.be/rmypegww9/BombGroupMuseumLuxembourg/raflancastermemorialweiswampach.html

and another a/c lost on 23 Apr 1944 no s/n but crew is listed.
    http://users.skynet.be/rmypegww9/BombGroupMuseumLuxembourg/raflancastercommemorationplatefagnes.html
    Hi
    Have just had notification from the secretary of the 75 (NZ) Sqn Assn that there is on friday going to be a big Lancaster memorial unveiling service this Fridayin TeAtatu Auckland. Niece of Nav pushed it, city council organising it. Service will have speakers including the Governor General, Defence Minister, Deputy Chief of Air Force. I have asked Glen to let me know if there is any media coverage in NZ to send me the links so if he does will put the links on here.
    Dee