Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free French A/F Pilot, 53 OTU

Default Free French A/F Pilot, 53 OTU

Hello again,
    I have a query with this French pilot as I am not sure of his correct name. My best guess is Lt NC de Penfentenyo de Kervercquin FFAF 4409.
    He was with 53 OTU at Kirton-in Lindsey under training on 27-9-44, when on take off in Spitfire Vb, W3173, the engine failed at 300 ft between Kirton-in Lindsey and Hibaldstow and landed short. He aborted landing in a field as labourers were in there and was commended for his efforts.
    W3173 bounced and overturned and the pilot was seriously injured with a fractured spine.
    I would please like to know any information on this brave Frenchman, his correct name, where he came from and whether he ever flew again.
    Thank you.
    Roy

Roy,

Tanguy de Penfentenyo de Kervéréguin born on 5/11/1919 join OTU 53 after coming from North Africa. He was French officer and posted to GB 1/32 up to Torch. After 1942 he was training at Kasba Tadla air training school. Join UK in spring 44 then 5 AFU and OTU 53 (do you know the number of his course ?). Then posted to n°341 Alsace on 15 march 1945 but three days later during an exercise of bombing his Spitfire MKIX (PT342) crashed and lieutenant de Penfentenyo de Kervéréguin was killed.

HTH

Bertrand

Bertrand,
    Was 'Tangui' his first name ? What is his present burial place ?
    Spitfire serials PT338 up to PT354 were NEVER built. Could it have been PT932 ? Air Britain: 341 Sqn - stalled during practice dive bombing attack and crashed, Turnhouse, "8"-3-1945.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Henk,

cross fingers !!! PT932 of course with 133 heures 16 minutes.

I do not know where Tanguy,Georges, Pierre, Marie de Penfentenyo de Kervéréguin is buried. I will ask to his brother.

Bertrand

Read posted on 5 march, KIA on 8 march

Default Tanguy

Hello Bertram and Henk,
    That is fantastic information. Why, I have been searching for 15 years for that, which took you an afternoon!
    Sadly I do not have the course number on 53 OTU. He must have been a very determined character to fly again after his injures. So sadly died on 8-3-45.
    I would be very grateful to know where this brave pilot was buried.
    Thanks gents,
    Roy

Default Aplogy

Sorry for mis-spelling your name Bertrand.
    Roy

Roy,

The correct service number (French in UK) of Tanguy de Penfentenyo is 36470.

Bertrand

Default Correct name

Hello Bertrand,
    Thanks for the service number.
    It is a very long name, could you please tell me which were his first names and which were his surname(family).
    Is it a French European name or is it African. I am a confused Englishman.
    With thanks,
    Roy

Thanks Bertrand for corrections on name, svcnr, date and a/c serial. Please keep us informed once you hear about his final (and if known first) burial place(s).
    Regards,
    Henk.