Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another prop & Engine ID

Thanks

Default Another prop & Engine ID

Hi All,

Further to my previous posting another prop pic with engine has been sent to me,this also came from Scapa Flow. I think this is a 12-cyl merlin poss from Spitfire, any idea?

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr31/highhgroundsman/PropgearfromenginerecoveredfromScap.jpg

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr31/highhgroundsman/CUOFGearfromproponMerlininLynesspos.jpg

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr31/highhgroundsman/enginefromflow.jpg

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr31/highhgroundsman/gunfromflow1.jpg

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr31/highhgroundsman/gunfromflow2.jpg

Regards.
    Dave

Thanks

Hi Dave,

The reduction gear is Merlin, confirmed by the lifting eye on the rear of the top casting.

Looks like no mountings for coffman starter gear, so suggest hand or electric start variants.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Default Another prop & engine ID

Thanks Ross,

Would the absence of the coffman starter bracket mean a later MK of merlin?

Regards
    Dave.

Thanks

Hi Ross thank you for the ID on the engine, I thought we had solved the problem with this one a while back as we have 2 Barracuda IIs lost in Scapa, but as Dave Earl pointed out the Barracuda II has a 4 bladed prop on a Merlin 32 engine and this one only has a 3 bladed prop? as yet we know of no Scapa losses that could account for this engine?? the mystery continues!!

thank you once again

Kevin

Thanks

Hi Kevin,

Yes, I struggle to think of a FAA aircraft lost into Scapa that does not have a Coffman starter (DP983 and BV922 are Merlin 30 or 32). Firefly DT946 was Griffin IIB, again Coffman starter.

Any chance of a better piccy of the stbd side of the reduction gear?

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Ross

I will try to get to Lyness tommorow and get a photo,weather permitting, as we plan a dive on one of the aircraft so will not be to far away, also HMS Ark Royal in in for a visit so may have a quick look at her to :o)

thanks again

Kevin

Thanks

Hi Ross

I have records here showing Firefly DT 946 was lost outside of Scapa Flow, if you pm me your email address I will forward the log page to you.

all the best

Kevin

Thanks

Dave,
    I see you have another De Havilland counterweight propeller here, which indicates an earlier type aircraft. When I first saw the image appearing line by line, and I saw that it had long duralium blades, my first thoughts were that maybe it is a DH 4-bladed Hydromatic from a DH Sea Hornet, but as the hub came into view I had to consign that theory to the rubbish bin! Perhaps a Fairy Battle, or more likely a Fulmar, both of which had the early Merlin installed. The Battle definitely had the DH counterweight prop as standard, although offhand I cannot think of any unit operating these in the Orkneys (perhaps a drogue tower?), but I have a feeling that most Fulmars had Rotol props with Jablo (wooden) blades!
    My ten cents worth.
    David D

Thanks

On a hunch, I looked up the article on the delivery of FAA Fulmars from Takoradi to Alexandria in November/December 1940, as published in "Aeroplane" magazine in February 2008. Fortunately there are some good photographs with this article, which clearly show that DH metal propellers are fitted, and although the hub mechanism is covered by the large spinner, there can be little doubt that these were counterweight propellers, and the blades have very pointy tips as well! However according to the narrative, these aircraft were fitted with Coffman cartridge starters (first column on page 17, five lines from top), so does this exclude the Fulmar as a candidate for your prop?
    David D

Thanks

Hi David,
    thank you for looking into this, Dave Earl has put a list together and unfortunatly we can find no mention of a Fulmar lost in the flow, in fact nothing with this engine/prop combination ? unfortunatly there is no documentation to show where the Navy raised the engine so we cannot search for more of the aircraft in question!

all the best

Kevin