Thread: Another one for the Met team

Thanks

Default Another one for the Met team

Beaufighter JL441 crashed in a snow storm one mile east of Bewholme, Yorkshire, on 8 Jan 1943. What were the conditions exactly and why were they out in them?

They were flying out of No. 2 OTU at the time.
    David

Thanks

Dave,

Can you give some times please? There are a couple of possible scenarios, but without times I can't request the necessary chart from the Met Office. Also where was 20 OTU?

'Snow storm' is a generalistic term that means very little on its own. One man might use the term to describe persistent and widespread frontal snow with low cloud, high winds and poor visibility, whilst another might use it to describe a passing snow shower which causes a brief, but nonetheless dangerous, loss of visibility.

In the former case I would imagine it unlikely an OTU aircraft would be despatched on a training sortie, but in the latter there shouldn't really be any problem.

From the very basic data available I suspect it was the latter situation, but it will take a few days to get the relevant chart.

Does the F1180 give any clue?

Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian,

No. 2 Coastal Command OTU was at Catfoss, Yorkshire. Sorry I don't have times for the flight but perhaps Ross could help.
    David

Thanks

Default Beaufighter JL441

Hi Dave,

Just a snippet from `Beaufighter Crash Log` by David J.Smith.

8/1/43 2 OTU JL441 1 mile E of Bewholme,Yorks, probably due to pilot forgetting to change tanks.

Latter seems to imply he just ran out of fuel regardless of weather conditions, as Dave Smith frequents the board, perhaps he knows more and can add to this post?

Regards.
    Dave.

Thanks

Default MET office concurs

I sent to the MET office for that day's weather and here is the reply, which seems to concur with what Dave and Brian have suggested:

...from our climate station at Hull for this day.
    There was a slight frost in the morning.
    The rest of the morning was cloudy, with some rain and slight snow.
    The rest of the day was overcast with some fog.
    There was broken cloud during the night.
    Observations at 10:00 GMT: Wind was a gentle breeze and from a northerly direction. Visibility was 1100 yards.
    Observations at 22:00 GMT: Wind was a gentle breeze and from a south-easterly direction. Visibility was 1.5 miles.
    Maximum temperature for the day was 38 F (3.3 C).
    Minimum temperature for the day was 28 F (-2.2 C).
    Rainfall for the day was 0 inches.
    The weather from Hull certainly shows that it was very cold with some light snow reported and it could be that other parts of Yorkshire recorded more in the way of snow.
    David