Thread: Manston Incident August 28/29th 1942

Thanks

Default Manston Incident August 28/29th 1942

Gents,

Who can tell me what Polish fighter squadron(s) were based at RAF Manston on the above date. Also the code and squadron of Spitfire Mk.Vb MB566. Also the details on Albacore X9112.

Thank you.

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

The Northolt Polish Spitfire Wing was at Manston on that date: 302, 306, 308 and 317 Squadrons. The only Albacores at Manston at that time were with 841 Squadron FAA. I know Albacores ‘A’ and ‘C’ were caught up in the ‘incident’ of that night. ‘A’ was either X9165 or X9166, I don’t have the serial for ‘C’.

HTH,
    Bruce

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bruce dennis View Post
    The Northolt Polish Spitfire Wing was at Manston on that date: 302, 306, 308 and 317 Squadrons. The only Albacores at Manston at that time were with 841 Squadron FAA. I know Albacores ‘A’ and ‘C’ were caught up in the ‘incident’ of that night. ‘A’ was either X9165 or X9166, I don’t have the serial for ‘C’.

HTH,
    Bruce
    Bruce,

Thank you for this, most helpful.

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve,
    I am looking at Manston files at Kew tomorrow, if that is of interest: can I help?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bruce dennis View Post
    Steve,
    I am looking at Manston files at Kew tomorrow, if that is of interest: can I help?
    Hi Bruce,

That would be great. August 28/29th 1942.

Two crews were forced to land at RAF Manston, Kent due to fuel shortage. At 0400hrs Pilot Officer Du Toit and crew having been instructed to keep to the right of the main runway due to a crashed No.305 (Polish) Squadron Wellington were on their final approach when the Stirling was illuminated by a chance light, his night vision impaired Du Toit brought the Stirling in too far to the right of the runway. The Stirling swept into a line of parked Supermarine Spitfires of a Polish fighter wing destroying one, Spitfire Mk.Vb (MB566) which burst into flames. Wrestling with the controls Du Toit on only his second operation as captain brought the Stirling down only to career into a parked Fleet Air Arm Fairey Albacore (X9112). The crew emerged unscathed to enjoy what would be a temporary reprieve. Short Stirling N3717 HA-S was beyond repair and struck of charge. Thirty minutes latter Flight lieutenant Dodkin landed his Stirling R9357 HA-E in without incident.

I would like to know what squadron the Spitfire belonged to, plus the Albarcore and any other details.

TIA

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve,
    Perhaps you already know, but there is a good account of that nights carnage, with a total of 56 emergency landings, in ‘THE HISTORY OF RAF MANSON’ by Rocky Stockton.

However, he doesn’t answer your question about the squadrons affected. I know both Albacores damaged that night were from 841 Sq FAA, as mentioned earlier, and will see what the ORB says about the Spitfire.

Bruce

Thanks

Steve
    317 Sqn, Voytech should provide you with more details.

Thanks

Spitfire was BM566 on 317 Sqn