Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aircraft crash 9 Nov 43 - Chippenham

Thanks

Default Aircraft crash 9 Nov 43 - Chippenham

Have found that a civilian who was killed on 9 Nov 1943 was not killed due to enemy action as I thought but by a Mosquito (possibly...) crashing into his house. The details I have been given are:

Alfred Bridgeman was killed when an RAF aircraft crashed onto his house at Rawlings Farm, Cocklebury, Near Chippenham, Wiltshire. The pilot and navigator of the Mosquito were both killed. The aircraft had been on fire and ploughed across the ground carrying away a cowshed and stable before coming to rest in the back of the house before bursting into flames.

Can anyone give me anymore details on the aircraft, crew, unit, crash etc?

Many thanks in advance

John

Doug Cuthbertson Guest

Hi John, This is probably your aircraft.
    Mosquito HK401 of 301 FTU. Suffered engine failure, then loss of control, and crashed at Rawlings Farm, Cocklebury, hitting a farmhouse.
    I understand that FTU stands for Ferry Training Unit. I do not have the crew names, but you now have something to go on.
    I assume you know the location of Rawlings Farm. If not, then let me know.
    Doug.

Thanks

Henk asked who the crew were in 2004 and no-one replied. I have an interest in the Chippenham Area so I would also be interested to know. The Mosquito was flying out of Lyneham..........Mr Bridgeman was 73.

Ken

Thanks

I have sent a list of the ten casualties plus one WAAF who were listed on cwgc and buried in England for that day to John - I excluded Runnymede remembered caualties as it seemed likely that their bodies would have been recovered?

HTH

Howard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kennill View Post
    Henk asked who the crew were in 2004 and no-one replied. I have an interest in the Chippenham Area so I would also be interested to know. The Mosquito was flying out of Lyneham..........Mr Bridgeman was 73.

Ken
    Is there a possibility that an archive copy of "The Wiltshire Times" might carry some details or would wartime reporting restrictions make this unlikely?
    Max

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I did go to the library to check the date in question only to find that the all the papers prior to 1960somthing have recently been moved to the Wilts Heritage centre - not far away I know but I didn't have the time to go there that day after checking some papers that were there. I am hoping to go there soon though.

Also if the aircraft was from Lyneham, I will try and have a walk round the cemetery there for any burials that died on that date.....long shot I know but there is noone buried in Chippenham who was killed that date as far as I can see.

Howard, I would tend to agre with you that the bodies were recovered however if the aircraft burnt out then maybe not? The aircraft crash that my father's uncle was killed in has some of the crew on the Runnymede memorial and the rest are buried in various places in England. Would it be possible to post the list of names?

Apparently Rawlings Farm also had an aircraft crash there during the First war as well....?

Thanks

The other newspaper that would most probably carry a report is the Wilts Gazette and Herald. The Wiltshire & Swindon Archives, recently relocated to Cocklebury Rd in Chippenham, holds archived copies of all local newspapers - should be easy enough for you to access John.

Brian

Thanks

Sorry John - you beat me to it.
    Brian

Thanks

Default Aircraft crash 9-1-1943 - Chippenham

Hi all,
    Still don't have the names of the Mosquito crew. Were they killed ??
    For this date only have four non ranked on my unaccounted list:
    LAC J.E. ARGENT - 1455233
    Cpl R.E. BARAGWANATH - 544841 (942 Balloon Sqn)
    ACW2 H. MUGGLESTONE - 461931
    AC2 H.S. GLASSMAN - 1898601
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Henk Welting View Post
    Hi all,
    Were they killed ??

Regards,
    Henk.
    Good point - I assumed the crew were killed seeing that Bridgeman was. They could have escaped ok or with injuries.