Thread: 514 Squadron O.R.B.'s

Thanks

Default 514 Squadron O.R.B.'s

Captain/Pilot: 174120 PO W.L.McGOWN. 514 Squadron, RAF Waterbeach.

I seek help in establishing when a war time bomber crew were posted in to 514 Sqn. They failed to return from operations on 8 June 1944.

I have two b&w photographs of the crew, taken at different times. Comparing the two photographs, only 3 out of 7 crew can be definitely identified, one being the crews Captain/Pilot P.O. McGown.

I am aware the Operation Record Book shows crew compliment for each operational flight, headed by the Captain so I wondered if anyone who has access to the 514 Sqn ORBs for June 1944 (and before) could please do a check for me?

I am now beginning to wonder if the 8 June crew may have been a mixed crew. Thank you

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 27th January 2009 at 20:23. Reason: ammeding last paragraph

Thanks

Hi Norman,

I have the No.514(Bomber) Squadron ORB, please contact me off board at

threegrouprafATyahoo.co.uk ( replace the At with the usual )

Regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Default 514 Squadron DS822 Lancaster.

Dear Steve

I understand you have been in contact with Norman regarding the ORB I wondered if you would be so kind to send a copy to me as my wife's cousin Robert Calder Guy was the rear Gunner on this fateful flight on the 7th June which crashed at Le Celle Les Bordes and is buried along with P/O Bryan and Upper Gunner George Boanson.

With regards to Pilot William Lachlan McGown RAF no.174120 RAFVR London Gazatte 26th Oct 1945 he went to 162 Sqd. and was honoured by a DFC and Bar and left the RAF in 1946 . He later died in West Kilbride Scotland at the age of 70years in 1984 .

Thanks

Hello Suzieronald,

Welcome. I am the Norman you refer to. I was most interested to learn your wife is a cousin of Robert Calder Guy and wondered if you were aware of another thread about this crash on this forum, posting title: called "Memorial in Rambouillet forest". It has been discussing the crash of 514 Sqn Lancaster DS822 on 8th June 1944 for some time now. Perhaps we could talk on the other thread. If you read my original posting you will see how I came to be interested in this crash. Meanwhile, do you have his service records, log book, medals, photographs? etc

Thank you

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 1st February 2009 at 22:56. Reason: adding information

Thanks

The crew of DS822 JI-T on 7th June 1944 was:

Pilot PO W McGown
    F/E Sgt J Clarke
    Navigator W/O A Durham
    Bomb Aimer PO L Lewis
    W Op WO K Bryan
    Air Gunner Flt Sgt J Boanson
    Air Gunner Flt Sgt R Guy

The a/c is shown as having crashed at La Celle les Bordes.

Hope this helps. If I can help further let me know.

Thanks

Default Working together with roger regarding the Flight DS822

Quote Originally Posted by Robo283 View Post
    The crew of DS822 JI-T on 7th June 1944 was:

Pilot PO W McGown
    F/E Sgt J Clarke
    Navigator W/O A Durham
    Bomb Aimer PO L Lewis
    W Op WO K Bryan
    Air Gunner Flt Sgt J Boanson
    Air Gunner Flt Sgt R Guy

The a/c is shown as having crashed at La Celle les Bordes.

Hope this helps. If I can help further let me know.

Dear Norman

I understand that you are of the trail of L Lewis at present however, I am trying to trace down F/O. Walter Lachlan McGown the pilot of the aircraft who evaded capture and returned to England and following his continuation he moved to Sqdn 162 to fly Misquitos where he had been honoured with DFC and Bar left the RAF 11th April 1946. As far as I can find he died in 1984 aged 71 and either buried or cremated in West Kilbride Scotland , He had a sister who married and was a Mrs B. Keith and lived in Glasgow at Great George Street off Byres Road Glasgow.

Regards

Sinclair.