Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Kiwi called Lamison

Thanks

Default A Kiwi called Lamison

I have just read a review on a American book published recently about a American flier in WWII called Mosar. In the review is mentioned a British Colonel described as a very brave and courageous Kiwi pilot called Lamison who was in charge of nearly 200 RAF airmen in the infamous Buchenwald Concentration Camp during 1944. From other research, I already knew of 3 RAF airmen who had been sent to this concentration camp but never knew that it reached 200. If anyone should know this New Zealand Officer please could they tell me how and where he was captured and how and why he was sent to Buchenwald Concentration Camp and anything else of interest? Thank you
    Norman

Thanks

Norman,

This is the man you mean:

From Coloin Hanson's 'By Such Deeds - Honours and Awards in the Royal New Zealand Air Force, 1923-1999':

LAMASON, Squadron Leader Philip John, DFC*, mid(2).
    NZ403460; Born Napier, 15 Sep 1918; RNZAF 28 Sep 1940 to 16 Dec 1945; PoW Aug 1944 to c.May 1945; Pilot.
    Citation Distinguished Flying Cross (Imm) (14 May 1942): [218 Sqn RAF (Stirling)] One night in April, 1942, this officer was the captain of an aircraft which attacked Pilsen.[*] During the return flight his aircraft was attacked by an enemy night fighter and sustained damage; the hydraulics were shot away and the turret rendered unserviceable, while a fire broke out in the middle of the fuselage. Displaying great presence of mind, Pilot Officer Lamason coolly directed his crew in the emergency and, while two of them dealt with the fire, he skilfully out-manoeuvred his attacker and finally shook him off. By his fine airmanship and great devotion to duty, Pilot Officer Lamason was undoubtedly responsible for the safe return of the aircraft and its crew. This officer has completed 21 sorties and he has at all times displayed courage and ability.[*] The night of 25/26 Apr 1942, a long-range attack by six Stirlings against the Skoda armament factory.
    Citation Mention in Despatches (1) (2 Jun 1943): For bravery in action and meritorious fulfilment of duty with 1657 HCU RAF (Stirling).
    Citation Mention in Despatches (2) (14 Jan 1944): For distinguished service with 1657 HCU RAF (Stirling).
    Citation Bar to Distinguished Flying Cross (24 Jun 1944): [15 Sqn RAF (Lancaster)] Since the award of the Distinguished Flying Cross, this officer has continued to operate with courage and devotion to duty of a high order. He has completed a large number of operational missions including several attacks on Berlin and other heavily defended German targets and has always pressed home his attacks with vigorous determination. His gallantry, leadership and enthusiasm have been extremely praiseworthy.
    Member of the ‘Caterpillar Club’. Sqn Ldr Lamason was a Flt Cdr on 15 Sqn. He was shot down by a German fighter on 8 Jun 1944 during a raid on railway marshalling yards near Paris. He escaped from his burning aircraft and with the aid of the French underground movement evaded capture for seven weeks until caught by the Gestapo in Paris. He was transported to Germany in the last German train to leave Paris in 1944 and for two months was confined in the Buchenwald concentration camp.

Lamason's story is told in detail in Max Lambert's excellent 'Night After Night - New Zealanders with Bomber Command'.

Errol

Thanks

Hi Norman,

Following on from what Errol had to say, you must see the following:-

Destination:Buchenwald
    Burgess,Colin
    Kenthurst:Kangaroo Press,1995.

Lamason, is mentioned extensively.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 27th January 2009 at 23:34. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

Thank you Errol for the wealth of information on Squadron Leader Lamason and details of two books. I apologise for my earlier spelling error in his surname but can not alter the title of my post. I'll have to see if it can be done.

Thank you Col, I must make the book my next reading, now I have three to read. It beats me how the Germans got away with it.
    Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 28th January 2009 at 15:25. Reason: expanding acknowledgements

Thanks

Norman,

The breakdown of the numbers (of prisoners), from 'Destination:Buchenwald', is as follows:-

Australia - 9
    Canada -29
    New Zealand - 2
    United Kingdom - 47
    United States - 81

Making 168 in toto.

All of the above are named (some incorrectly), and other than the US prisoners, most can be found on Ross' POW Lists.

Would you like the UK. and Commonwealth names (just surnames and initials) posted here ?

Col.

Thanks

Yes please Col

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by namrondooh View Post
    I apologise for my earlier spelling error in his surname but can not alter the title of my post. I'll have to see if it can be done.
    Hi Norman,

I had the same problem on a thread. Ross is the only one who can do it. Just PM him.
    David

Thanks

Thank you Professor!

Thanks

Hi Norman,

With due acknowledgement, here are the names of the 87 Commonwealth and UK. prisoners in Buchenwald:-

The Airmen in Buchenwald.

AUSTRALIA. (9)

Fairclough, M J; Gwilliam, J P; Johnston, E L; Light, K W; Malcolm, T A; Mills, K C; Mills, R N; Perry, R W; Whellum, L K.

CANADA. (29)

Atkin, H; Bastable, H; Carter-Edwards, E; Clark, D; Compton, G A E; Crawford, J; Fulsher, F H; Gibson, W R; Grenon, L T; Guilfoyle, M; Harvie, J D; Head, L F; Hetherington, S; High, D; Hodgson, T R; Hoffman, C R; King, M A; Kinnis, A G; Leslie, D E; McClenaghan, R; Prudham, J E; Scullion, P; Shepherd, E G; Smith, J A; Sonshine, J R; Stewart, J A; Waldrum, W A; Watson, E C; Willis, C E.

NEW ZEALAND. (2)

Cullen, M F; Lamason, P J.

UNITED KINGDOM. (47)

Angus, J W; Barnham, L D; Baxter, S; Bennett G; Blackham, T H; Booker, S A; Bryden, R; Chapman, K W; Chinn, A J; Clark, J; Davis, E J; Dowdeswell, P; Eagle, A D; Fernandez, J J; Gould, T; Harper, R; Heggarty, P W; Hemmens, P D; Hughes, R R; Jackson, E; Jordin, D F; Joyce, R W; Kay, W; Leverington, R L; Lucas, L J; Marshall, W; MacPherson, A J; Measures, D K; Mutter, M E S; Nuttall, C W; Osselton, J N; Percy, D C; Peterson, F; Phelps, E K; Reid, J D; Robb, L A; Rowe, A; Salt, F; Sharrate, W S; Spierenburg, S A; Taylor, P G; Taylor, R J; Vinecombe, F; Ward, J D; Watmough, G F; Wesley,, L; Williams, L.

See:
    Destination:Buchenwald.
    Burgess,Colin
    Kenthurst:Kangaroo Press.1995.
    p.178.

After a random check with Ross' POW Lists, some spelling errors were found in the above, so treat them with caution.

Col.

Thanks

Default Phil Lamason

Hi Norman,

From less than a week I am in touch with Phillip Lamason's family.
    Lancaster LM575 fell near Plaisir, Yvelines 8 june 1944.
    Phil was sheltered first at Monfort L'Amaury then at Chevreuse (3 miles from my home) with Chapman by a family with wich I am also in touch.
    I wait to have soon informations and pictures.
    Phil Lamason is still alive (91 years old) in New Zealand.
    According to his Grand Daughter, he speaks practically never about his period to Buchenwald.
    His comrade Chapman lived some years in France then returned in GB. He died last year 29 june 2008 in Sussex

They left Chevreuse on July 22nd towards Paris. Taken care by the French Underground in Paris, they were denounced by a traitor which I know the name and captured by the Germans.
    Phil Lamason and Ken Chapman were sent to Buchenwald on August 15th, 1944.
    He had has little near the same course as John Clarke of Lancaster DS822 of La Celle Les Bordes who was also hidden at Chevreuse during the same period, then betrayed too, was captured in Paris 19 August 1944 and sent to Buchenwald according his escape route report. I shall meet John (Jack) Clarke's daughter in November during the exhibition at Choisel.

From about two months there is now a large Phil Lamason's Story on Wikipedia. You can access typing "Phil Lamason New Zealand" on Google search. You can see it a Lamason & Chapman's photograph playing chess with a young girl of Chevreuse now died, but is sister is still alive.

Kind regards
    Roger
    Last edited by pinuche0706; 9th May 2009 at 23:08. Reason: more info