Thread: F/Sgt. Leighton Ogilvie Scott R/74249

Thanks

Default F/Sgt. Leighton Ogilvie Scott R/74249

The nephew of this aircrew from 407 Sqn has contacted me about the earlier thread "A bad night for 407 Squadron". His uncle was the wop/ag on one of the four Hudsons that were FTR on 15 May 1942 in the attack on a convoy off Terschelling. He is listed on the Runnymede Memorial.

According to family legend:

"He was later reported confirmed dead. My Grandmother had a story that
    apparently his body had been recovered and buried near Emden, Germany
    (or possibly in Holland) and that his bomber had been crashed intentionally into a
    German ship and that only his body had been found."

Has anyone come across anything that might lead to substantiating this story?

Forgot to mention. I have the ORB pages from this week and no mention of the action, except for the other crashes on landing of the three other a/c lost that day.

I'm not sure which 407 Hudson he was on but the s/ns were:

AM864
    AM812
    AM679
    AM614
    Last edited by dfuller52; 29th January 2009 at 02:23. Reason: added info
    David

Thanks

Hi David,

The ORBs only tell the story as known at that day and, for the summary, at that month. They need to be augmented by a raft of other primary sources to get as much of the full picture as possible.

The squadron lost 5 not 4 aircraft on that operation AM864/R, AM812/S, AM679/B, AM614/N and AM525/A.

This is the draft entry from Vol 2 RAFCC Losses

15/05/42
    407 Sqn
    Hudson V
    AM679
    RR-B

P/O W A Haliburton RCAF
    P/O L N Skinner RCAF
    Sgt L O Scott RCAF
    Sgt A J W Pottle RCAF

Op: Strike II, RAF Bircham Newton, Time Up 20:25 hrs

Last seen turning away from a M/V of 5000 to 6000 tons because of balloons then going in again to score a hit on the stern before bursting into flames and hitting the sea at 21:30 hrs. All are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks Ross, I will pass this along to Scott's nephew. [edited bit] I see now that there were two Hudsons with similar s/ns, AM525 from 407 and AE525 from 320. [end of edited bit]

I wonder how that family legend got started? There is often a grain of truth in them, although it appears not to be so here. What record had the observation of the plane in it, if I may ask?
    Last edited by dfuller52; 29th January 2009 at 11:28. Reason: correction
    David

Thanks

Hi David,

The Group ORB gives a one liner for each aircraft culled from the debrief report. Usually the ORB contains the same info but sometimes gems and corrections can be found. Its not a stand alone source as it does not record aircraft serials only letter codes and time up/down. You need to compare these details with the ORB to get the aircraft serial and the crew lists etc. Problems occur when multiple airlosses occur all with the same take off time in the ORB.

Legend probably come from report of second run at low level, scored a hit on the stern and then crash becoming deliberate crash into ship. No sure about bodies recovery bit but may stem from Doehn and Balden from AM812 buried in Sage.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.